Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass and J-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madvip, Oct 1, 2000.

1. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    Excuse my ignorance about the topic, but what's the difference between P-Bass and J-Bass? I only know that the P stands for precision and J for Jazz. right? But what they really mean in terms of bass?

2. the sound on a P-bass is a lot more punchy where the J-bass will have a more bass feel to it and will be a more huge mass of bass that is produced by the amp.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Precision has a single split humbucking wired pickup in the middle position, yielding pretty much one sound(of course, it IS the industry standard sound;) ) powerful, almost boomy lows, pronounced low mids, warm treble.

The Jazz has 2 single coil pickups, one in approximately the same position as the precision's, the other at the bridge. The middle(commonly referred to as 'neck', even though it's not in that position:p ) pickup offers a quasi-precision tone, with more treble, and being a single coil, also adds hum.

The bridge position single coil gives you a honky, growly very trebly sound, and when both pickups are full on, if the bass is wired properly, they cancel hum out completely.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Jazz necks are slimmer while Precision necks are bigger. String spacing is different. Body shape different. just thought i'd list the obvious. I like 'em both for passive basses.

5. embellisher

I got so caught up in the technical end of it, I forgot the important part!

6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Also, the P has a body with a centered "waist" and a one piece pickguard/control cavity cover. The J has an offset waist and a pickguard with an unattached chrome control coverplate.

The P has control knobs for tone and volume of its one pickup. The J has 2 volume controls for its two pickups and one tone knob for the output of either.

Variations are J's with stacked control knobs, for tone and volume control over each pickup. Ps sometimes have an addition J pickup and have 2 volume knobs. Then there are active electronics, but they just complicate even more. You should have a grasp of these basses by now.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    the most important thing!! Jazz Bass has a sexy body~! P Bass has an ugly body! :)

MrFortuneCookie: Well.. P bass is more Punchy? I don't knwo about that... since its a P-Pickup.. its more Solid, one type of sound.. compared to Jazz, which has the 2 Singlecoil, which I think will make it more Punchy IMO>. Especially my new Salas, which has Seymour Duncan Soapbars.. damn this one is punchy fella! Gotta love it doh :)

Oh yes... MrFortuneCookie, Punchiness always depends on your amp too! :) like if you have a 1x15, more low deeper sound :), 2x10, 4x10s.. more punch, more mid tone

DM

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

On the "more bass" - it's usually seen as the other way round(P-Bass bassier); but then I have no idea what is meant by "huge mass of bass that is produced by the amp" ?? We're talking about the difference in basses, so what's the amp got to do with it?

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I alternate my gigs back and forth -P this week - J next week. I really love both of them and look at them as simply different flavors of ice cream.
    The J neck is thinner and ostensibly easier to play. The P has a great, albeit chunkier, neck. However I find that some lines are easier to play because of the extra string width on the P.
    Tonally, the P is deeper, fatter with a distinct low end thump. The J has more definition and clarity but still moves a lot of low volume air.
    Which is better? To me neither..some days I like chocolate ripple and some days I prefer butterscotch.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    >and when both pickups are full on, if the bass is wired properly, they cancel hum out completely.

This is true, however, they cancel hum when they are at the same volume (not necessarily full on).

11. embellisher

True, but on passive instruments I always dime everything, except maybe turning one pu down for tone variation.

Passives do not sound good to me at less than full volume.