Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P bass and maple

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bodom, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Bodom

Bodom

Aug 31, 2002
    Does the standar fender pb come with maple? because i just want a cheap "good" looking pbass nothing more than that :p

2. The Made in Mexico (MIM) Standard Fenders do not have maple fretboards available, just rosewood. The American series can have either rosewood or maple.

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    If you want a cheap maple P-Bass, I would suggeset an Essex, because you will have to go to another company besides fender to get one, and the Essex is very cheap, and good for the money.

4. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    could have swore i seen a MIM, black, alder, maple in one of our local music store.. maybe i'm wrong.. i'm gonna check tomorrow.

off-white, tortoise, rosewood looks pretty sweet
    black, black (3-ply), rosewood looks pretty creamy
    black, tortoise, rosewood looks good..

tortoise picguards (looks like red perloid) and rosewood goes good together (IMO)..

...just buy a squier and buy a new picguard... or look for good deals on MIM's..

I've played MIM's that I liked better than MIA's.. then again, I've played squiers that i liked better than MIM's.. I bought a affinity squier from a pawn shop not long ago just cause it sounded different/good to me.. it's off-white, white picguard, rosewood.. sounds like an alder body.. if i slapped on a tort picguard it would look a helluvalot better.

good luck.

5. you can also get a 57RI p with a maple board, MIJ.

6. Bodom

Bodom

Aug 31, 2002
    I thought fender stopped makeing the Steve harris bass

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Maybe so, but for the right $$ mines for sale! ;)

8. Bodom

Bodom

Aug 31, 2002
    How much? :p

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hey, it's mine and I CAN'T afford to buy it from me! :D