P-Bass....ash for the clash sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Texx, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    i want to get a warmoth P-Bass body for my fender MIM since the
    neck's fine and i have a little GAS.
    The rosewood-poplar MIM doesn't sound bad but kind of mellow.
    What i am looking for is the "in your face" sound paul simonon from the clash has on "london calling" or "rock the casbah"...punchy and raw.
    Would a northern ash body be a step in the right direction?
    (Despite PUs and strings)
  2. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Remember that those older punk bands were purposely not gear heads. You could probably get that sound out of any half way decent P-bass and the right amp settings.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That '70's sound was done mostly with Ash bodies. The pickups were a large part too, Dimarzio Model P's get that '70's vibe with a bit more growl, check those out.
  4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    i'd say the body material is less of a factor than amp presence/drive, eq and compression... and you probably need to play with a pick to get a sound like London Calling... you'd probably be better off spending your money on a SD Quarter Pound pickup than an ash body

a bit of compression, boost your high mids around the 1k mark, play with a pick hard & loose, dial in a bit of crunch

we play London Calling and the key to getting it to sound authentic is actually the slidey & sloppy way he plays... i love Paul Simonon's playing because he does a lot of 'non bass playerly' things that you don't hear other people doing
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Ash/maple all the way for that sound, and a SansAmp BDDI in front of whatever amp you are using. IMO body material makes a big difference when you are going for that sound.
  6. Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    thanks for your replies so far,
    yeaah i should have gotten a Model P instead of the Fender '62 Reissue i bought. Just recently heard a bass with a Model P and it growls more than the '62 which has probably more vintage "thumb" (thinkin James Jamerson).
  7. if you want to sound more "in your face", maybe try setting your eq. focus more on the mids (especially the low mids) to really punch through the mix, and the treble, to get that biting attack.
  8. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    I'd bet the white Pbass he's smashing on the cover (it's also in Rude Boy quite a bit) is/was alder. Actually, I think the bass sound on London Calling is pretty mellow. Most of the "edge" in the tone, AFAIK, comes from playing it really hard and cranking an SVT (tube head).