1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P Bass Ashtray on VMJ Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ddarrell2, Dec 4, 2017.

1. ddarrell2

ddarrell2

Nov 25, 2017
    I’m interested in installing at least a bridge cover on my Squire ‘77 Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, but don’t want to use the large jazz-specific hardware with the logo. The only smaller one I see is for a Fender P Bass.

My local store warned me that it might not fit the bridge, and I’m having a hard time finding the right dimensions online. He also said that the P Bass pickup cover wouldn’t fit over the J Bass pickups, and that I’d need to buy both kits to get what I need.

Has anyone done this before, and can point me in the right direction for what/where to buy? I read some Amazon reviews of aftermarket parts, with a lot of stories about sharp edgedes. I always prefer less expensive, but not at the cost of quality or aesthetic.

I’m also wondering about ‘and/or’ the pickup cover. Would it be weird to do a pickup but not bridge cover, or should I stick to both?

Thanks! (My first post)

Attached Files:

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Welcome to TalkBass! The bridges are interchangeable between P and J, so the bridge cover is a no-brainer... The J ashtray is just bigger to cover the bridge pickup... As for the neck pickup cover only, many folks do just that and it looks fine! There’s no “wrong” answer!

-robert

3. ddarrell2

ddarrell2

Nov 25, 2017
    Thank you. Would a P pickup cover be able to cover J pickups? Or would I need a J-specific part for the pickups?

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Yeah, you’ll need the J pickup cover... Different profile. Longer and narrower.

-robert

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You don't need to buy both 'kits' to get what you need. all of those covers, both pickup and bridge are available individually. Be aware the bridge cover fits over you stock bridge, but if you have changed to a hi-mass bridge the cover probably won't fit over that. If you have a hi-mass bridge use a tele cover. If you are one that changes strings often you may want to consider a tele cover anyway as they don't need to be removed to change strings.

ddarrell2 likes this.
  6. braud357

braud357

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I cannot tell in the picture if you have a standard bridge or a high-mass - if you have a high-mass, get a bridge cover for a Squier CV 60's Precision - it will fit over the high-mass - a standard will not !

ddarrell2 and sissy kathy like this.
  7. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I wasn't aware of this bridge cover. Here's some more information on it.
    Product Identifiers
    • GTIN
    • BRAND
      Fender
    • MPN
    • UPC
    Product Key Features
    • Model
      Squier 60s Chrome P Bass Ashtray Bridge Cover

ddarrell2 likes this.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I dint get why you’d want to cover the neck pickup but use a P ashtray and not cover the bridge pickup. It would look odd.

You can get generic jazz ashtrays without the F if that’s what bothers you.

9. ddarrell2

ddarrell2

Nov 25, 2017
    I like the look of the hardware, but
    I’m wanting the parts for hand rests, and not as interested in pickup covering. The larger ashtray seems like that’d cover up too much of the strings. Would a Telecaster cover over the bridge look off? (Is that the same shape as the pickup cover?)

10. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    A Telecaster cover wouldn't look any more 'off' than a P cover would. The J covers very little more than the bridge pickup; unless you play over the bridge pickup, I doubt it would be an issue.