Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p bass beater

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by infamousxtopher, Apr 11, 2005.

1. hey guys i'm lookin around for an inexpensive p bass clone. it's not something i'd use all the time but i like the sound on occassion ( i have a fretless yamaha p ), but i'd like soemthing fretted occassionally too. i had looked at rondo music to pick something up (i live 2 hours from the shop) but walked out with the marcus miller knock off that felt very nice in my hands. i found that their bodies are much too lare gor me, i am a slender guy. so i'm looking for something maybe a little more streamlined and weighing in at under $250, preferably much less. as i said this is jsut something to play around on, not nessecarily for gigging. thanks a bunch in advance.

-topher

2. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Look for an old Peavey Fury from the late 80's or early 90's. They were made in the US, have a downscaled poplar P-shaped body, a decent hot pickup, and the maple neck ones have a thin jazz neck akin the the Fender Geddy Lee. Not as warm and fat as your typical Fender, but a very good rock tone. Played one for years and it's held up great.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my "beater bass" is an mim -bass that i have had since i was 17. hell, i played it this weekend for two gigs and it sounded/played awesome.

4. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    I'll have to second the old USA Fury's those things seem to last forever. You can usually get them at a decent price.

5. i'll have to chekc out those peavey's maybe i can find one on ebay. i actually used to have that rogue 2 or so years ago but it had a tragic accident. was never a fan of that neck though.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If the bodies are "too large" why did you get the MM clone? J bodies are much larger than P bodies and you did say you wanted a P style...the MM is a J :confused:

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Depending on what you are looking for in regards to tone and quality, Ibanez makes some great, inexpensive P-clones.

My first was their total bottom-barrel P-clone (GSR100) that I got used from a friend. I added a Bart Humbucker to it, and it holds up pretty well.

8. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Try looking for old 1980's Tokai stuff, it's like Custom Shop Fender quality.

Cheers

9. haha well i went looking for a p. but that jazz sounded too good. i could never play it live though due to the large body and it being close to 11lbs. i do love the sound though

10. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    if you got $250 to spend I'd definatly reccomend an SX p-bass. thier P-bass copy would probobly be somewhere around $125 shipped, leaving u with another $125 for some modifications. I have one and I love it, it sounds good (does have some scratchy pots though, but thats what like 8 bucks to fix) very lightweight, and looks great, especially if you get one with the old style sadowskyish headstock.

11. i had gone out to purchase an sx p but the bodies are just too big for me, althought i walked out with a bigger jazz, i don't make sense. i got the cance to play an ibanez gsr 100 today, not bad for the money, love to find a used one for cheaper. the peavey's that were reccomended also look like they could be quite a deal. thanks a bunch guys,

12. wow that is amazingly light, albeit jsut a body, quite a possiblity, thanks for the input