Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass body and Jazz neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rumblinbass, Aug 4, 2004.

1. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Does anybody know if this combo will work? Will the Jazz neck fit into the P-Bass socket?

I only ask because a friend found a P-bass body and is giving it to me. Something to tinker with.

2. Yes, it's a common procedure. The heel of the 2 necks are identical dimensions. The difference is at the nut, width wise.

3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Ebay often has "real" jazz necks for sale...meaning necks removed from actual Fender basses that have the correct decals on them. Pretty neat.

Tim99.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

wow , thats' a good friend allright !!!
    have you ever checked out www.warmoth.com ?
    awesome necks for your P-bass , many different woods , headstocks, etc. :cool:

edit : i'm in S.A. also , check us out ,{ Deja Blues } , 8/13/04 at 'The Cove' ...
    { sorry for the unsolicited gig-spam } :cool:

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    From what I hear, that was a pretty popular way to go "back in the day". I was told that when Jazz basses first came out, a lot of bass players really liked the slim neck profile but where hesitant to go away from their P bass sound which was the definitive bass tone of the day, so buying a jazz bass and swapping the neck onto your P bass became a popular thing to do.
    I was told this by a local bass player who plays a '68 J with a P neck. He bought it used way back when and figured that somebody had bought the Jazz for the neck because when he first got it the jazz body was like new with a used P neck on it.
    So, yeah - people have been doing that for around 30 years or so.

6. The Precision actually had a narrow Jazz-width neck available as an option. I think in the catalog it was referred to as Option A. (That's what my 78 has).

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Did they have that in the 60's?
    This guy was telling me it was a popular thing to do in the 60's right after J basses came out - maybe by the 70's Fender realized people were doing it and offered it as an option?

8. I don't know when the narrow neck first became available, maybe somebody with a Fender book can help out.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My 78 neck is only 1 1/2" wide at the nut.

10. Yep, same as mine. After playing mine for many years, when I picked up a regular width version, I thought "hey what's with the baseball bat!!"....

11. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Sure is...he's the guitarist in my band. To tell you the truth I'm not crazy about P-basses, I prefer the Jazz. But it's free, anything free is better than something I have to pay for.

Yeah, I know about Warmoth, but times are lean so I'm looking for used stuff.

I do have a Badass II bridge I bought before the tough times, I'm just going to need everything else (...neck, tuners, pickups, knobs, electronics, etc...).

I hope I don't get yelled at but what I want to do is get the body routed for a Jazz pickup at the bridge. I just need to find somebody that can do it.

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The neck swap works fine. I hva e a jazz and a Precision and have swapped necks. The jazz body with p neck is my working bass. Jazz tonal flexibility, thicker neck.

13. i prefer the jazz bodies with a precision neck, the jazz necks are too small and petite for my likings...but im planning on eventually getting a jazz (sx or fender) and getting someone to rout it so it'll take a p-bass pckup between the two single coils and put a warmoth precision neck on it..mmmm...customness

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I too really dig Jazzes with baseball bat necks. Shame necks are expensive :p

15. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    P with J neck I played sounded thinner then original precision, but was a lot playable and faster (think it was Shecter neck)

16. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Back in their early days 'Ross Valory' of 'Journey' always used to use a P Bass with a Jazz neck (with block markers)..... VERY nice!! :bassist:

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I remember that!

18. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Personally, I've always prefered this combination over the originals.

My '69 P-Bass has worn a Warmoth Jazz neck most of the time I've had it -- since 1983. AAMOF, it's had two different Warmoth necks on it. Both were the 1-1/2 inch nut, IIRC.

I've just recently changed it back to go back to OEM and possibly sell (eek!). That, and I finally built a Frankenbass out of parts and cleaned my junk drawer out a bit.

I like the symmetry of the P-Bass body better. Seems that the Jazz always tries to slide out of my fat lap when sitting.
    In addition, what I really like is a P/J pickup combination. Fastly becoming my favorite current bass is a new-to-me 5-string Frankendbass -- Warmoth neck and body, Bart P and Basslines MM. The MM is wired parrallel, and performs like a meaty J pickup. Bass is passive and wired V-V-T. I love it!

dcr

19. Lakland offers that configuration. I wish I would have gotten the J neck on the Bob Glaub I owned briefly. Dan was kind enough to let me pick out something else when I found the P neck (which I insisted on getting against his advise) was too uncomfortable for me. It was a stunning BG USA sunburst and went on tour with Crosby Stills and Nash shortly after I returned it. I just may have to get another sometime .... with a very fast and comfy Jazz neck.