1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-Bass Body Types ('72)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rimshot, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge in matters historical as relates to the Fender Precision Bass.

Is the '72 body the same as a '54 body with the exception of the split p'up?

Thanks, in advance, for your kind reply.

2. No. The '54 doesn't share the rounded contours with the '72. The basic shape is the same but the face is completely flat and there is almost an edge from front to sides.

3. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Thanks Mr. Gluvhand. I thought that was the '51 but I'm certainly no expert. Regarding the control area route, that's where they're the same or is the '72 the same as a "standard" P-bass in that area?

4. FenderOli

FenderOli

Jun 6, 2014
    Germany
    1954 has contours, control area is different, position of the jack at the side, and so on...

fender-custom-shop-55.
    Angular neck body heel.

5. JTE

JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    '54 to late/mid '57 has contoured rather than slab body. Late '57 onward has the split PUP and rounded neck pocket. By '72 the "tummy cut" and forearm contours are far less pronounced than the original specs. A '72 is probably a heavy ash body too while older are alder.

6. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My '74 has a deep contour on the back. It was closer to the late '77 to early '79 when the contours were nearly non existent. My '74 weighs 8 pounds 2 ounces.