1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-bass Body

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by albmad, Dec 14, 2016.

1. albmad

albmad

Aug 25, 2016
    Hi everybody,

I was considering to buy a P-Bass made up of stratosphere parts, but the body of an AV63 is about 500$ or 700$ loaded (with the bridge, pick ups, and passive electronics)...

As I think that's quite expensive, I'm starting to look for great quality P-bass bodies on the Internet to start building my own. Any recommendation for buying bodies? Nice luthiers or shops? Can anybody directly recommend me an specific body (link)? Something I should be aware of before buying?

My intention is to build a bass as similar as possible to a Fender P-Bass RI62 or an AM63.

Thanks a lot!

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    A major cost of the bass is the finish. If you can do the finish work you can cut your costs significantly.

As an example I can get a finished burst P body, for $335 USD, that same body without a finish is $185 USD. A neck,flame maple, standard mounting with a vintitage tint satin nitro finish is $430 USD; that same neck with no finish is $330USD. Together that's $765 for a finished body and neck or $515 USD for an unfinished one.

Buying the body loaded is another expense you don't need. Putting together a P is about the simplest project you can take on electronically. and you almost can't mess up the assembly. I'd buy the parts separately and assemble it myself. It saves you some money, is educational, and is actually fun. It also lets you build to your specification rather than buying what you can find.

I buy my bodies and necks from Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Custom bass and guitar bodies and necks but others may prefer someone else.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  3. Some cheaper, Fender-made options -

Are you trying to do nitro or poly? Nitro going to be more expensive.

You could get a Fender Classic 50s Lacquer Precision if you are looking for nitro, but you have to like black.

Or you could get a regular Fender Classic Series '50s Precision Bass body, those are poly, and come in sunburst, Fiesta, or honey blond.

$500 for the body, is steep, but doable. If you could find an AVRI '62 neck for $300, you'd have a pretty nice setup for adding the rest of the parts.

Going non-Fender would be another option.

Checkout Home - MJT Custom Aged Guitars for some cool stuff (have to watch the size of the neck pocket).

4. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I bought one years ago from Stewart Macdonald which was great. I still have it, use it and love it. They stopped selling bass bodies, but still sell guitar bodies. The bass player's burden....

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021