Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P bass boring?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Humblerumble, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I hadn't owned a p bass in a few years and earlier this year I decided that I wanted another one. I was jammin with some guys and we had worked up some old Maiden and Rush and other stuff that we used to play in the eighties. Then the drummer bailed and it all kind of fell to the wayside. During that time I purchased a 2003 American P bass. Wasn't real satisfied so I added a SD 1/4 pounder and a Bada** bridge. It is a nice bass but it seems to be a one trick pony and I found myself playing it very little. When I want that sound it does fine, but most of the time I'm grabbin for the Cirrus or Spector 5. Before the P bass I had a Warwick Corvette 4 string. I have been thinking about selling the p bass and maybe purchasing a Spector 4 with the P bass/J bass pickup combo. That way I could get the p bass sound when I wanted it as well as a variety of others. Any opinions?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have never found the Precision to be a boring bass. I get most of the sounds I want out my hands. If you like Spectors, then go with that as they are excellent basses in their own right.

Dan

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think its about how into "that sound" you are. People say the same things about stingrays, but i just like that sound so much its not a big deal. Im not really into passive basses, but i like pbasses. The fact that you can listen to a cd and tell if its a pbass or not kinda goes to show that an unmodified p bass doesnt have a whole lotof variety of sound. I have 4 basses becuase each one sounds different. My view on it is kinda like pedals. A huge multi effect pedal dosent do each sound as well as the individual ones. I kinda like having 4 different basses that sound different and do that one sound well.

4. The American Deluxe P is pretty cool, what with the humbucker ande active pickups. I'm sure a P/J would also add variety. But the P itself is a classic with a classic tone that's very recognisable, and for a reason. It may not nail many sounds, but it nails a great sound. Keep it.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    A bass is only as boring as you can make it.

6. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I'll say the P is boring. Since I got my 57 Resissue, I've had nothing to do at work except work. I used to peruse ebay, check their offerings against Harmony Central, post finds here.
    Since i got the Precision, i have no interest in obtaining another bass. No way i could say that about the five before it. but I'm an old fart and think a bass should sound like one and think of Wayman Tisdale as basketball player.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I like the P's simple but elegant layout. I don't have one, but sometimes I wish I did. Sometimes having a kitchen-sink instrument with a lot of perceived versatility (for example, a bass with two humbuckers, both with coil splitting switches, and then a piezo system on top of that, and then an onboard 3-band (with variable midrange!) preamp on top of everything else) can be dangerous for hopeless knob twiddlers such as myself. ;)

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    P-bass boring??????
    No way man.
    One of the greatest basses ever made.
    A ton of sound can be had at your fingertips.
    I think every working bassist has owned one at one time?
    Would not leave home without one.

9. if my cloudy memory is still operating at 1/2 functioning level i remember seeing that Raven Labs offers a P-Bass drop in active preamp. check here. www.raven-labs.com

It's Steve Rabe's company. The guy that started SWR if i'm not mistaken..

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I used to think P basses were boring when I was just getting started on bass. It took a few years before I realized what they were all about. Now I dont think they are boring at all.

I still like my jazz better though! :bag:

11. spectors are great basses and have plenty of aweome tones, however they don't really nail the classic P bass tone, if that is what you are looking for. the emg's sound much more modern. if you like how the spector plays and sounds better than your P bass then by all means go for it.

another bass that has a good P bass tone and many other is the G&L L2000, I have one and it does a good impression of a P, J and Music man bass, as well as it's own sound.

12. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    P-Bass isnt boring, it brings a good fat sound! I'll love it! :smug:

13. Gretschluvr

Gretschluvr

Jun 8, 2004
    I just bought a Fender Deluxe Zone bass. This is a very versatile bass. Huge piano like lows, or growls with passion, or smooth woody tone, excellent slap ability if you are into that, jazz tones, you name it...this baby does it all! It has active equalizer with Bass, mid, and treble tone controls, Master volume, panning pickup selector, sealed encased heavy duty very smooth operating Gotoh Tuners, String through back bridge. Everytime I pick it up...it makes me smile!
    I love this bass!

Click here to see image, specs and click HEAR IT to listen to a sound bite sample (hi quality is the best sound)

Click here to see it

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0135800

Here is one same color I bought:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...8199408/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/511031/

14. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Not known as a P bass player myself, I will say this.

If you can't do it with a P bass, the problem probably isn't the bass.

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I've never found a P bass any more or less limiting then any other bass, you can only get out what you put in.

16. IMO where a good P-Bass really outshines other basses is in a band setting, as opposed to playing the bass alone. They have a gorgeous concentrated thick tone that sticks to it's own spectrum and cuts through. They also somehow make the other instruments in the band sound better and thereby seal their popularity.

17. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Good Point Bassmaniac. I tend to play it less when I'm alone. The only complaints I ever got with a band was if it was a song I usually used the low B string on...

18. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, that's true. Especially when you boost the high mids and play without a band. Sounds horrible (to me), but sounds great w/ screeching guitars. P-basses aren't 'boring' to me, but I do feel somewhat limited by them. Especially when I try to make chords and thumps sound cool hehe..

19. Thou speaketh of wisdom.

Sorry, this probably makes no sense. I'm not that well-versed in Olde English or whatever that is. But I guess you get my point.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Half a bazillion bassists can't be wrong.

Yes, that is a technical figure.