1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-bass BREATHING

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlennW, Mar 8, 2008.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
  2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Hype is wearisome, isn't it? Anyone who plays one of these can make their own decisions about it's sound without such silliness.

I wonder if that Ad copy really is from Fender? If so, I am disappointed, but not shocked, given the Schlocky Ads they have had at times. :ninja:

3. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    "wood influence"

A term whose time has come. My bass has more "wood influence" than yours. I like the way that sounds! Unprovable, yet makes me feel better about myself. :)

What if your P Bass breathes, and has bad breath?

4. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    Thats why F-bass uses that super thin finish.

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The icing on the cake is in the previous paragraph they talk about the increased mass of the METAL bridge...I wonder what that does to the "wood influence".

P. T. Barnum was right.

I have been meaning to get around to experimenting with "wood influence" on the bridge. I think/guess that a wood saddle bar like on Danos and Hagstroms would make a noticeable difference, probably moreso if the tailpiece was shortened so the saddle bar was directly on the body...maybe someday.

6. Inflin

Inflin

Apr 30, 2007
    Newcastle, UK/Currently London
    Affiliated with Genelec, Avalon Design.
    A quick google seems to suggest someone at GC wrote it...

:ninja:

7. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Neck pocket paint buildup has been reduced by 40%,

"If the neck pocket dont fit ,you must acquit"

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
  9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    That'll be a great weapon in the war between my Warwick and my friend Matt's Stingray. Mine surely has more wood influence.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Fender also says they invented the electric bass guitar and we all know that's not true either.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They all do, it smells (and sounds) like farts!

12. The same company that used or uses that STUPID neck tilt adjustment system is now concerned about the neck fit and wood to wood contact?? :eyebrow:

13. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I know the acid is working when my bass starts breathing.

14. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Do not take the brown acid. :rolleyes:

15. I've made a couple of trips to a local GC to check out these new American Standard basses, P and Jazz. Both times, I don't walk away feeling like I should get one to replace my 2006 American Series P bass.

Then again, my New Year's resolution has been to forget about GAS and concentrate on improving my technique and playing better.

16. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    One could argue that Paul Tutmarc invented the fretted
    solid body electric bass which he did back around 1936.
    His was a short scale affair made of walnut and was quite
    a visionary creation but it just never caught on in a big way.
    I know the Experience Museum in Seattle has one on display.

It's been argued if Leo was ever aware of the Tutmarc Bass
    Viol as Mr.Tutmarc named his invention when Leo got around
    to creating his own electric bass guitar.

Leo pretty much had to build his take on the fretted electric
    bass from the ground up much like Mr.Tutmarc did. It can be
    argued that Leo Fender didn't invent the first electric solid
    body fretted bass instrument. He did create the first one to
    eventually be accepted after a slow start and become a
    commercial success and also the instrument that changed
    the popular music world and set the standards for what we
    know as the electric bass guitar.

17. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    No...it is definately from Fenders wordsmiths. This is from their web site.

"The new American Standard Precision basses feature our new high-mass vintage bridge, a thinner finish undercoat that lets the body breathe and improves resonance, new and improved Fender tuning keys that keep the classic look but are 30 percent lighter, a richer and deeper neck tint for a more elegant appearance, a great-looking glossed maple or rosewood fingerboard and satin back for smooth playability..."

But wait, aren't people actually paying more for the real 70's Fenders with the mile thick paint finishes ?? How does that poor wood breath. My take is if they reduce the paint process cost and convince you it's for your own good it's a win-win situation. It's not that the finish looks bad now. It's just spare me the BS line. Also if the new tuners kept the "classic look" they would be open tuners.

What would have really impressed me is if they could get their US factory to do a neat routing job on the Jazz bridge pickup. All of their foreign made lines do it better and that should be an embarrassment to them.

18. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    It's your trip, man.

19. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you like (or don't like) the new American Standard all this stuff goes by the board, doesn't it? I have a new Am. Std. P Bass and love it. All this discussion of the "hype" isn't important in the long run.

20. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    See you next fall.

/Corny joke