1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P Bass bridge ideas

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassgod76, Apr 29, 2009.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I recently scored an old MIM P Bass, and I want to hotrod it. I'm not looking to maintain any sort of vintage look, so as one of the upgrades, I'd like to swap out the bridge.

I've use a Badass Bass II in the past, on other projects, but disliked that I had to slot the saddles. Plus, no one has had a chrome one in stock for weeks.

I want to try something different, and I'm looking at the Hipshot A direct Fender replacement.

I've also heard great things about the Gotoh.

I used Hipshot products in the past and have been impressed with their quality and their customer service. Money is not a big issue. Am I being retarded by going with the Hipshot instead?

Give me your two cents.

2. If you are hoping for a noticable improvement in tone, you may be disappointed. However, I would suggest a string-thru American Deluxe. It would keep the bass sort of original and give you the string-thru option, and it is very high quality. I have found some used on Ebay for $40

3. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I noticed a subtle tone improvement in tone when I opted for a BAII in my last P Bass. I'm not really looking for maintaining the original vibe, but thanks for your input.

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I agree here. No need to change what works just move up to the American Fender DLX. The BA is all hype and others need tweaking and possible shimming to work...why bother?

5. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    from personal experience I can tell you that the Gotoh 201 is good quality, very solid & good value for money... you wouldn't regret getting one

I haven't notice any difference in tone from the stock Fender bridge, but I didn't do it for tone - I swapped it because the saddle allen screws were sliding around on the original's bridge plate.. the Gotoh solved that problem as it has little grooves for the allen screws to sit in