P-Bass Build... weight estimate?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gbass75, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Hey, y'all.

So... I'm having a P-Bass built for me. In fact, some may have seen recent threads of mine; where I told the story of a custom build that ended up being much too heavy for me to comfortably play.

The builder, professional that he is, promptly said "well then, if that weight will prevent you from playing your bass, then this won't do at all;" and he went back to the bench to build me another.

The last bass, when complete, weighed in at 11.3 lbs.

I've just been informed that the new body (2-piece swamp ash) that he'd like to use weighs 4.7 lbs.

With that knowledge, do any of you have any notion as to where the bass may weigh in when all is said and done? In other words; assuming that the body is heaviest component of the instrument, how much would you guess the neck and all hardware weigh (combined)?

In case it helps, the neck is a Musikraft... maple, with slab maple board.

Your thoughts? ...and, thanks!

2. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    You should be able to come in at around 8 1/4 to 8 1/2 pounds depending on the weight of the tuners, the bridge, and the knobs. They can actually make a difference of as much as 3/4 pound.

3. Thanks, Mojo Mike!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021