1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass Buzz Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Apr 11, 2015.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I have this buzzing sound coming from my bass. It only hapoens when I want to turn the tone up. It does stop if I touch the strings and I realize that it may be a grounding/shielding issue. But I don't hear it (even with the tone all the way up) when going DI into a recoding device.

Could it still be a grounding/shielding issue?

Thanks!

2. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Single coil pickups always have some noise unless you wire them up with a reverse-wound, reverse-polarity similar pickup in parallel or series. The tone can back off the noise a bit because it's low-passing your signal (removing high frequencies).

If there is a ground problem usually the buzz doesn't go away, or it get's louder when you touch the bridge or strings.

The DI box probably is lifting the ground so it's removing ground noise from outside the bass.

I know in my house, built in 1905, the wiring is old and noisy. I do get some noise when I play even on humbucking pickups. As far as I can tell the cavities are shielded decently even.

I'd try playing in different rooms, or in different houses and see if the problem is still there. If it is then you probably want to shield the cavity.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  3. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    My pbass has Split coil pick-ups, does that still apply?

Thanks!

4. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Oh hey, I missed the P-bass part.

No problem at all. It doesn't sound like you have a grounding problem, probably just a outside interference (so shielding would fix it) or house wiring problem (which may explain the DI box fixing the buzz).

Humbucking pickups remove the 60 cycle hum but your electronics can still pick up noise if they aren't shielded or grounded properly. The rest of what I said still applies.

Here it is again :

If there is a ground problem (EDIT : that is in the bass electronics itself) usually the buzz doesn't go away, or it get's louder when you touch the bridge or strings.

The DI box probably is lifting the ground so it's removing ground noise from outside the bass.

I know in my house, built in 1905, the wiring is old and noisy. I do get some noise when I play even on humbucking pickups. As far as I can tell the cavities are shielded decently even.

I'd try playing in different rooms, and in different houses/buildings and see if the problem is still there. If it is then you probably want to shield the cavity.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    LoveThatBass likes this.