Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Bass Buzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexander, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I just got a new P bass (MIM) this week and noticed when turned up, buzzes fairly loud when my fingers are not touching the strings. When I touch the strings, it cuts this down considerably. Is this normal for a P? I know Jazz basses hum with only one pickup selected - is it same with the Ps? Or could it be a poor shielding job? Or something else?

2. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    it happened to me too, when my bass was new, but it stopped. Its just the passive p-bass electronics. I dont know what causes it though

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    my HM4 does that sometimes.....3 passive J pickups...the funny thing is that sometimes it does that buzz thing and sometimes it doesn't. the solution: keep at least a little bit of one finger touching the strings at all time :p

4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    After doing some searching, I got the impression it might be a grounding issue. I took it back to where I bought it, plugged it in and cranked it up. Of course it was dead silent :rolleyes:

I usually play out in two locations and I'll try it in both to see what happens. The tech said it could be interference from any number of sources - TV, computer monitor, flourescent lights, dimmer switches, etc etc...

5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    That happens to me, and I am certain it is in the amp you are plugged into. My cheap Crate BX-25 which I leave at home to play with buzzes when I am not touching the strings, but my SWR Workingman's 4004 Stack does not buzz at all. I can't say why, but only that it does not buzz in better quality amps. That would explain why it did not buzz when you plugged it in at the place you bought it.