1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-bass buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MoonlightBass, Mar 10, 2013.

1. MoonlightBass

MoonlightBass

Mar 5, 2013
    I just got a new Squier P-bass (yes, I know, it's not a Fender). The buzz disappears when I touch anything metal on the guitar (the strings, the bridge, the cable jack, etc). The buzz disappears when I turn the tone knob all the way down. It gets louder when I touch the pickups under the bass strings (the one farther away from the bridge).

I suspect there's a problem with the grounding of that pickup. I bought this guitar (cheap!) on clearance from a Music and Arts store more than an hour from home, so I'd like to avoid having to drive up there to take it back.

Is this something I could fix myself? On the other hand, it should be under warranty- I suppose it would be much better to get it fixed under warranty.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. MoonlightBass

MoonlightBass

Mar 5, 2013
    By the way- the nearest factory-authorized service center is two hours away and not open on weekends. Figures.

3. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    Ground your amp.

4. MoonlightBass

MoonlightBass

Mar 5, 2013
    I know this is a stupid question, but how do I do that?

I don't have problems with buzz with any other of my guitars- just this one.

The amp is a Peavey Minx bass amp I got used in 1987 so it's been around a long time. It has a 3-prong plug, which I thought was grounded- but I don;t know much about the electronics of these things.

5. MoonlightBass

MoonlightBass

Mar 5, 2013
    I found the solution to my problem. Dirty power due to fluorescent lights in the room. Play in the dark- buzz is gone. Period.

You learn something new every day!