1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P bass changed my mind!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carlos840, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Just got back from the shop!
    Last week i tried a 2010 Pbass, sunburst, really beautiful, loved the sound, loved the feel, compared it to 6 other P basses they had in store, a mike dirnt, a squire , a mexican, a P5 and two 78!
    The 2010 sounded better than all of them...
    Since im trying to stop impulse buys (that would have been bass number 12!!) i decided to sleep on it, went home, kept thinking about it, waited a week end, kept thinking about it, woke up this morning, kept thinking about it!
    Decided to go to the shop, really decided to buy it!

Tried it, same amp, same cab, same strings, same EQ and i was really disappointed, it just didnt speak to me anymore, felt thin and lifeless, ended up leaving empty handed!

I do wish i still liked it, i really want a good P bass but cant seem to find one!

Well, on to the next one!

2. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    I am pretty happy with the gear I have but there are times I have gone to bed after practicing and felt my bass did not sound as satisfying to me as usual and wondered if I "needed" something more/else? ( not warm enough, not focused enough, not deep enough not cutting through mix of guitars at a gig or sounding good alongside them etc.)

Then, only to wake up the next day, same basses, same amp and same settings and it sounded just as wonderful and pleasing to my ear as when I chose them and glad I had not seriously entertained changing anything.

Kind of embarrased about this since I've never heard of anyone else having somethng similar happen.

Can our ears really be that fickle? Bass sounds good to us at GC saturday, Wouldn't touch the same bass on Thursday LOL :):bassist:

3. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    P and P/J Basses own me. Seriously.

4. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    The question is which set of ears was right, the first time, or the second?

If you can, rent it and try it out with your band.

5. That is indeed true!
    Im sure he would lend it to me for a trial, might do that!

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Playing alone vs. with the band, different room, amps, cables, comfort(?)

All things can factor in the way a bass sounds, even in minuscule ways. I try go buy what I like playing first, and EQ my amp to make it work with my band.

7. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I would say that even if I didn't firmly believe a P bass was right for everyone. (Just kidding... mostly...) Seriously, I'd recommend that regardless of what bass it is, if you can do it.

8. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    Ear wax varies from day to day :eyebrow:

9. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    I recognize the feeling. It happens every now and then and I think it has nothing to do with what instrument or equipment you use. It will always happen. I think I've learned to live with it but it's always frustrating. The best cure I've found, is to start practice something new and try to see things from a different angle.

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Happens to me all the time. I'll have everything set up perfectly, then the next day, plug it in and find myself saying, "this isn't what it sounded like last night". Then I start fiddling with the knobs and start over again.... just to find myself in the same place I was yesterday.

11. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Just chiming in to say that I got a chance to play some new P basses this past Saturday and was really impressed.

12. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ

Every. Single. Day!

At least on my P-bass it's usually just a small roll of the tone knob. With my Ray it was tweaking both the onboard preamp and the head chasing that elusive 'tone I'd just perfected yesterday'!

13. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    WOW!!!! I'm not the only one this happens to, I found my tone to be great sunday night, went down to the studio to jam last night and it sounded like sh*t...

14. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    i found that my ears hear bass frequencies in the morning better than any other time, when I wake up I can hear bass lines clearly, as the day pass it become harder.

15. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I constantly go back an forth on my tone. I have two basses and one amp setup.
    My band practices twice a week on consecutive days. I'll leave one night thinking how I have the exact tone I've always wanted only to come in the next day and think it's horrible.
    I've found that other instruments can greatly affect your tone.
    I wasn't feeling great about my tone the other day at practice. I also noticed that the guitarist seemed to be playing with a lot more low end. After asking him to cut it a bit I noticed that my sound was back.

16. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    They say "tone is in your fingers". Not mine, I can use all the help I can get:D

17. milkman-27

milkman-27

Jul 4, 2009
    I am glad that I am not the only one who has had this happen. I can be playing my bass one day and think "man, that sounds awesome". Then the next day, same setup and it's like "man, that sounds awful" I really love my 09 Am. precision and I don't think that I would ever want to part with it, but there are days that it seem like my Brice 6 sounds better, but some days not.

18. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

+ 1 on this whole thread. A related thought:

My standard gig settings sound lousy in the store, but great on stage. I've tried showing up for test drives with a 4-piece backing band, and my dealer always kicks me out!

For that reason alone, I never trust what a bass sounds like by itself, in the store. I think that's particularly relevant to the hollow, woody mids of a Precision.

I never really dug my mid-60's p-bass on its own. But it always kicked butt on the gig, and the fancy "coffee table" basses that I lusted after when I was window shopping, didn't.

19. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    I have been working (fumbling) at music for over 40 years. As a starving musician I can only afford to keep fresh strings on one bass at a time. When I string my Carvin I fall hopelessly in love with it. Its got the timbre of a piano. Very inspiring to play, but!!! After a few months it seems ok, ordinary, lifeless. I buy strings and put a set on my jazz bass and I fall hopelessly in love with it. Nothing gives that thump in your chest like a Fender. I love my Fender but!!! When I restring my Lakland!!! You see where I'm going with this. Those three basses have a love/hate relationship with me. I can't sell any of the three cuz I love them all (just one at a time).

Another observation: Instruments always sound better at the store than when you get them home. Don't know why.

Another observation; Different rooms sound, well.........er.............uhm............. different. I can usually dial in a good sound in most rooms but some just suck the life out of my set up. I think the answer there is "acoustics".

20. thom_m

thom_m

Sep 28, 2010
    Palmas-TO, Brazil
    It happens to me too. I practice at a shared studio, so I always take note of the knob positions - since it's for SURE someone is gonna change them. And, almost everytime I just go there, put the knobs EXACLTY where they were...and it's seems like it's not the same sound I got the last time. And so I fiddle with them again, take note...just to be disappointed again later.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021