1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-bass control plate

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by orpheus_sword, Apr 19, 2009.

1. orpheus_sword

orpheus_sword

Mar 28, 2009
    I have an old Samick P-bass copy that I want to modify in a variety of ways. My main bass is an MIA J, and I'm a big fan of the control plate look. I saw on allparts.com a p-bass control plate:

http://www.allparts.com/store/pbass-control-plate,Product.asp

and wanted to know more about this unit, but couldn't find a whole lot on the web about it. Things I wanted to know:

(1) will it fit in my existing screw holes? Let's assume that they are in the standard P-bass locations.

(2) What exactly does the control plate do? I assumed it was a way to avoid having all that metallic tape on the backside of the pickguard.

(3) If I install this unit, I can't use a traditional P-bass pickguard. So does anybody know a place to buy a modified pickguard to work with this control plate? Or... Can I just omit the pickguard altogether? I mean, will I lose anything (eg. shielding effects, dust/dirt collecting in the cavity, or related issues I've never considered). I'm not worried about scratching the finish with a pick, I rarely, if ever use a pick. Even if I did, I don't care about the finish.

Any answers to these question or advice on these control plates is greatly appreciated!

2. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    It looks like it matches the locations on the P pickguards I have.

The purpose is to hold the pots and output jack. The metal shielding doesn't hurt either.

Never seen one, but jeannie's might make one for you. Or, whip out the dremel and cut an old one up.

You may have wires hanging out - depends how the body and control cavity was routed. Normal p pickguards aren't shielded past the controls.