P-Bass Deluxe Makeover!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim Ingraham, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Ok, here's the before:
    Actually this is after I already stripped it of its original trans red burst poly finish. The fender finish just was not holding up... peeling off around the edges in dime size chunks. However when i took it down to bare wood... surprise! ... big knots clear thru.. the back was really ugly. So i put a coat of wipe-on poly on to protect the wood... put it back in the case and bought a Bongo.
    As the Bongos newness wore off i started playing the P alot again cause it sounds great.. Kinda of a P and kinda a Ray rolled into one. But i was not digging at all the way she looked so .... makeover time.
    I wanted to paint it Olympic white and get the tort gaurd but i like that look better with a Rosewood board so i decided to try a tobacco burst, my next favorite scheme. I also wanted a nitro finish as im not a big fan of poly and im equipped to spray laquer. I didnt want gloss either so i mixed up a batch of 50% sheen... and here's the result:
    And a closeup:
    This turned out to be a real fun and easy project... and now, it's second honeymoon time with my P :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    That turned out great! Nice work!
  3. Awesome looking job man! Off topic, but what strings are those on it?

Oh, and what does the back look like? Solid black or burst as well?
  4. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Turned out nice. Good job