Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass deluxe vs. MusicMan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasmedia, Feb 8, 2001.

1. jasmedia

jasmedia

Feb 4, 2001
    I'm a 14 years old bass player,(son of Jasmedia) I've been playing for four years. I own a bleu, P-bass deluxe and I wanted to know, from you guys, witch one should be the best for slaping and popping cause I'm really into that!
    thank's
    Nick

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    None or a Warwick :D
    Just kidding.
    Just for having tried both in stores (so it's a very little experience), I would say MusicMan but that's just my 2 cents.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Nick,

I own neither bass but I spent a lot of time playing them in shops.

The P-Bass Deluxe (if you're taking an AMERICAN Deluxe) is to my mind the more versatile bass. It can get very close to the StingRay sound, yet still get the classic P-bass sound if you like. Plus you already own it.

I'd keep it.

4. If you are talking about the MIA Deluxe P, then that is a really good bass. I don't know how great it is for slap and pop, but as you know, Musicmans are great for that sort of thing. You could bring your bass to the store and compare them back to back and see wich one you like best.
    Peace :D

5. I, for one, hated the American P-bass Deluxe I played in a store. I never liked the 2x4 that they bolt to the body and call a neck but I can get past that. The action was what did it for me. The action on this bass was ten times heavier than my $150 Hamer Slammer P-bass copy. the electronics were a little too complicated for my tastes, too. I say go for the Stingray. I love the tone, and they have about the best funk/slap sound I've heard.

6. You can adjust the action. I don't mean to sound patronising but if you try basses out and they are unplayable to you, it is not unreasonable to ask the salesperson to adjust it. Your opinion will then be of the bass not the rushed factory setup.

:)