1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-Bass Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 7, 2000.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I recently purchased a Fender P-Bass Deluxe. I own a Musicman, and a Warwick and I've always disliked Fenders, but wanted something really versatile and felt at some point I had to own a Fender. I have to say the workmanship doesn't come close to my other 2 basses, but the sound kinda makes up for it. I'm having a really rough time with the machine heads - adjusted them a few times, but these things just don't respond like my other basses (dropping to D and back at gig takes too much time). In the store I thought the bridge pickup nailed the Musicman sound - but no dice. It definately has a warmth though that I don't hear in either of the other basses - so I'm beginning to dig it, and after fiddling with the electronics and getting comfortable with it - it really can cover a lot of ground. It's light too. I'd really like hear other people's thoughts on this bass - and I'd appreciate any help with my head problem - the meachine heads that is...

Thanks.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  2. I have a Deluxe P Bass Special (not sure if this is the model you have) and although I agree with you about not being as well made as my Stingray's, I think for the money it's almost unbeatable. IMO better than my Noel Redding Jazz and even a '66 P Bass I sold a couple of years back. Lots of versatility with that second jazz pick-up plus the jazz neck is excellent.
    I find that I'm using it more and more for live work. A real workhorse. Also as it didn't break the bank I don't worry too much it it gets a knock or two

I could never make it sound like a Stingray, which s my all time favourite, but then I wouldn't want to, (I've got two.)
    Regarding the tuner's, I would have preferred them in nickel rather than chrome but I've never had a problem with them, although I don't tune down to D in the middle of a set.
    Have you thought about adding a Hipshot D-tuner?

Hope you get it sorted out.

Spike.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Thanks - I will consider a hipshot.

And I guess I should clarify that it's an American Standard Precision Deluxe. It cost as much or a little more than my other 2 basses....

4. Joe,
    Sorry for my confusion over your MIA P Deluxe.
    For the amount of money that they cost you are completely entitled to expect absolute top quality, and if I were you, I would return it to your dealer and insist that Fender replace the machine heads.

BTW, Great Homepage.

[Edited by Spike on 10-09-2000 at 08:49 AM]

5. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have one of these and she's my #2 to my MIA Standard Jazz. (I just prefer passive, that's all.) Sorry about the machine heads...I actually prefer the deluxe tuners to the ones on the standards and haven't had a lick of a problem with any of them.

For playing live with a pop band, I usually just use the neck pickup, maybe slightly rolled back about 1/4. For recording, though, I love the bridge pickup...I do a lot of instrumental bass music and with the pickup knob at either 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock, I get two very different, distict tones. Love this thing for recording.

I like the slightly smaller body shape, too. The whole bass just feels right when worn. I don't usually make a habit of comparing basses, because each one is individual and has it's own uniqueness. If I wanted a Warwick tone, I'd buy a freakin' Warwick, right? I don't, so I didn't. :D

I love my P Deluxe...She's #2 in my pop band, but #1 in my studio.

-GM