Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 7, 2000.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I recently purchased a Fender P-Bass Deluxe. I own a Musicman, and a Warwick and I've always disliked Fenders, but wanted something really versatile and felt at some point I had to own a Fender. I have to say the workmanship doesn't come close to my other 2 basses, but the sound kinda makes up for it. I'm having a really rough time with the machine heads - adjusted them a few times, but these things just don't respond like my other basses (dropping to D and back at gig takes too much time). In the store I thought the bridge pickup nailed the Musicman sound - but no dice. It definately has a warmth though that I don't hear in either of the other basses - so I'm beginning to dig it, and after fiddling with the electronics and getting comfortable with it - it really can cover a lot of ground. It's light too. I'd really like hear other people's thoughts on this bass - and I'd appreciate any help with my head problem - the meachine heads that is...

Thanks.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  2. I have a Deluxe P Bass Special (not sure if this is the model you have) and although I agree with you about not being as well made as my Stingray's, I think for the money it's almost unbeatable. IMO better than my Noel Redding Jazz and even a '66 P Bass I sold a couple of years back. Lots of versatility with that second jazz pick-up plus the jazz neck is excellent.
    I find that I'm using it more and more for live work. A real workhorse. Also as it didn't break the bank I don't worry too much it it gets a knock or two

I could never make it sound like a Stingray, which s my all time favourite, but then I wouldn't want to, (I've got two.)
    Regarding the tuner's, I would have preferred them in nickel rather than chrome but I've never had a problem with them, although I don't tune down to D in the middle of a set.
    Have you thought about adding a Hipshot D-tuner?

Hope you get it sorted out.

Spike.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Thanks - I will consider a hipshot.

And I guess I should clarify that it's an American Standard Precision Deluxe. It cost as much or a little more than my other 2 basses....

4. Joe,
    Sorry for my confusion over your MIA P Deluxe.
    For the amount of money that they cost you are completely entitled to expect absolute top quality, and if I were you, I would return it to your dealer and insist that Fender replace the machine heads.

BTW, Great Homepage.

[Edited by Spike on 10-09-2000 at 08:49 AM]

5. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have one of these and she's my #2 to my MIA Standard Jazz. (I just prefer passive, that's all.) Sorry about the machine heads...I actually prefer the deluxe tuners to the ones on the standards and haven't had a lick of a problem with any of them.

For playing live with a pop band, I usually just use the neck pickup, maybe slightly rolled back about 1/4. For recording, though, I love the bridge pickup...I do a lot of instrumental bass music and with the pickup knob at either 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock, I get two very different, distict tones. Love this thing for recording.

I like the slightly smaller body shape, too. The whole bass just feels right when worn. I don't usually make a habit of comparing basses, because each one is individual and has it's own uniqueness. If I wanted a Warwick tone, I'd buy a freakin' Warwick, right? I don't, so I didn't. :D

I love my P Deluxe...She's #2 in my pop band, but #1 in my studio.

-GM