1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P Bass dilemma!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrianCIDC, Oct 16, 2020.

1. BrianCIDC

BrianCIDC

Jul 10, 2019
    DFW
    I’ve been playing on my go-to Am Pro P bass with RW board, vintage ‘63 pups, a 920D harness and Fender flatwounds. I LOVE the bluesy, Motown sound! But I’ve been gas’ing for a green bass (?). MF has an ocean turquoise MIM Players P bass that I pulled the trigger on, and received today. Out of the box the action was nice and low, and the neck felt a tad thicker than my AM, no big deal. But I plugged it in and OMG! It sings like my American Pro never did (same gear otherwise)! I just wanted to function check everything and ended up playing two hours! Goosebumps!! So my dilemma: I already have Fender “Original” pups, a harness, flats and a shiny new pick guard I was going to install tomorrow but I’m worried I’m going to ruin the magic...
    I’m appealing to your opinions. Is the “magic” coming from the maple fretboard? Will I lose the harmonics by changing the pups or is that inherent in the body/neck/fretboard configuration. Thanks in advance (TIA, for us that didn’t know what that meant...)
    Doc

Outbush and Guild B301 like this.
  2. rockdoc11

rockdoc11 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Wow.

Based on your post, I have no idea why you'd touch a thing.

3. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Only one way to figure out.. You can always put the original PU back.

(Magic is not real btw)

jimmyjames77 likes this.
  4. Magic IS real. You’re chances of making it better than something that gave you goosebumps, are slim to none.

5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    That’s great, I’ve got three mexi’s and none disappoint. Time for everyone to lose the mexi hype.

6. Why would you mess with it if you think its God's gift to your ears? Leave that baby alone, except for "add tort" and rock it

7. BrianCIDC

BrianCIDC

Jul 10, 2019
    DFW
    The ocean turquoise finish comes with a brown “tort” pick guard! Lol!!
    Thanks for the replies! I’m still blown away. Man did I overpay for the made in USA label!

8. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Leave it alone and enjoy!

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Leave it. If it ain’t broke...

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I never understand why people want to mod something before they get it, nevermind something they love. Don't touch a thing if you like it that much.

11. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    It's funny you said that. I'm actually a magician, and some people still believe in magic even when I tell them otherwise.

T Bassman and Guild B301 like this.
  12. Gee, I thought you were a bassist. :D I really just don’t know if something that he thinks is perfect should be messed with.

buldog5151bass and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  13. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I see no bass, what’s this thread about???

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    What about the tone do you like better?

15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    There is no magic. The MIM P has rounds on it, and that’s why it sounds so refreshing compared to the AM P with flats.

16. BrianCIDC

BrianCIDC

Jul 10, 2019
    DFW
    I’ve got other basses with rounds and they don’t sound like this. My American was a “B” stock and I think it was a return and the buyer gutted it and returned it. Don’t take me wrong-I LOVE my AmPro. It’s got it going on for just about anything I play. I will take some pics tomorrow! Hehehe

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  17. BrianCIDC

BrianCIDC

Jul 10, 2019
    DFW
    I really prefer flats...

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  18. BrianCIDC

BrianCIDC

Jul 10, 2019
    DFW
    I was just playing unplugged and I’m convinced it’s the maple fretboard more than anything. I thought the next was thicker, but it’s not. They’re almost identical. The fret ends aren’t as perfect as the AmPro, but well within acceptability! I’m a converted guitarist...so I fiddle...

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  19. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    Don't goof with it.

PS- I goofed with a bass once and regretted it.

TN WOODMAN and retslock like this.
  20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    So put on the new guard, take care of the fret ends, and play the @$_#@ out of it for a month before you even consider doing anything else.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020