1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass: Distance between bridge saddles and pickup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Sep 9, 2017.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    What's the distance between the bridge saddles and the pickup on a P-Bass?

2. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Which part of the pickup? Which saddle? It would be more precise to ask for the distance between the nut and the pickup, or between the 12th fret and the pickup.

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm trying to guesstimate whether the P on my Ibanez SR480
    images.jpg

Would be in the same location as a Fender P. My SR has 24 frets and a Fender P has 20 (I think). Should I measure from the 12th fret, then?

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I measured and there's about 11 3/4 inches between the 12th fret and the midpoint between the two P pups.

5. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    I measured 11 5/8 on both of my Ps. Not a significant difference from your Ibby.

Edit: I noticed that your bass has a "reverse P" configuration though, so that pushes the E and A string coil back about 1 inch towards the bridge and vice-versa, so it must affect the tone a bit.

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Did you measure from the bridge or nut side the 12th fret? I put the hook part of my tape measure on the nut side and I got 11 3/4".

Either way, 1/16th of an inch would affect the tone as much as other differences. The body of my SR is mahogany vs the alder on a lot of P basses.

I'm sure the reverse P affects the tone. I'll bet the D and G strings are a little fuller sounding.

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  7. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
  8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Yup, that's the sweet spot!

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    There is also the 1/2 reverse (Lee Sklar's mod). The EA is placed where it should be, but with the DG a top.

pjcarman likes this.
  10. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Even my Hondo fake P is 11-5/8 inches from the 12th fret to P-pup midpoint.

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Well, I have newfound respect for my SR! Here I was thinking they had put the P pup too far forward! I'm going to experiment more with soloing the P! I'm probably going to have to back the low mids off a bit since these are Dimarzio Model P/J pickups - they're pretty hot!

12. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    I used a ruler and measured from the center of the fret, so I guess if I used your method, I would've got the same result as you! :)

13. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    That would make the difference, for sure, so they're the same. Thanks!

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    My 94 LB100 has the pickup 1/8 closer to the bridge than the fenders. It's the best band mix bass I've had beating out a vintage L2000 and a vintage grabber.

Sartori likes this.
  15. My Sadowsky NYC PJ measured about 11 3/8".

16. Which in a more modern and rational way may be expressed in mm as:
    (11+0.75)*25.4 = 11.75*25.4 = 298.45mm ... ehm ...

Sartori likes this.
  17. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    My Kramer Focus is about 11 1/2" from the center of the 12th fret, to the split between the two halves of the P pickup.

18. Thanks for the chart @BassUrges that's awesome. I've never seen it layed out so clearly.
    I'm in the process of doing A build turning a jazz into a reverse P/PJ. Your chart is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the visual aids.

jamro217 likes this.
  19. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    So wait... 1/16" difference in pickup spacing has as much influence on your tone as the materials used to build the bass?

20. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Doubtful. I was saying I didn't think so, but I don't believe that body/neck wood affect tone much anyway.