Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass Electronics!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Unchain, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a P-Bass that I want a bit more versatility from, and want to keep passive. So I'm thinking replace the stock pickup, a J in the bridge, move the jack to the side, have a blend knob added (with center dentent), and use a series/parallel mini switch and get a Mid/Tone passive tone control from http://www.has-sound.com/. My question is what do you think about this? Also which pickups? I was thinking a Bart in the bridge and a Duncan Antiquity P. Thanks!

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    What way do you want to alter the sound? How much can you spend?

3. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I want to have more verstility, more low end, remain passive, and want an extended high range to allow extensive harmonics/tapping. Money is no problem, as I work and can eventually get enough.

4. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Why not just get a Jazz or another bass with P/J pickups? What "P" do you have at the moment?

Also, any passive blend control will result in more and more volume loss the closer you get to the 50/50 middle blend position. I tried this on my jazz, and couldn't live with the volume control fiddling that was necessary to maintain a consistent output volume to my rig.

5. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a Fender P-Bass, and really just can't afford another decent bass. I want to make this bass nice for now until I save up enough for my Conklin 7.

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    You'd be spending about the same, if not more on all the mods you want to do than if you bought another MIM Fender Jazz. Even less if you bought used, or bought an SX Jazz.

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    That's just false. A properly wired blend pot has no attenuation in the middle position.

8. I have a V/V/T RBX170 P/J...a while back I had a Peavey B90 P/J that was V/B/T. I think I prefer the blend pot.

why? Because you can change the tone without affecting the volume...

9. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Ok, I must have wired it wrong ... do you have a link to a schematic where the attentuation doesn't occur?

10. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Thanks, I thought that's how I had wired it up, but I guess not.

End thread hijack. :)

11. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok then. Say I did buy an SX Jazz just for the body. Which one should I get? Are the electronics quality?

12. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    The attenuation occurs from having 2 pickups in parallel. You can get the same volume drop from a 3 way switch or 2 volumes. Many people believe, and some even tell others, that a blend pot is at half volume for both pickups at the midpoint.

In reality when using a blend at least one pickup is always fully on to the same extent a single volume knob is when fully on.

13. Thanks, Moo...I couldn't have said it better myself.