1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass EMG's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SandCBass, Jul 26, 2012.

1. SandCBass

SandCBass

Dec 4, 2011
    Big Lake, MN
    I have a set of EMG's in my Fender Precision bass, when I purchased the bass they were already in it. I'm looking at either going for stock pickups from an American Standard/a 57 or 59 reissue, or getting Seymour duncans (spb1 or spb3)
    Was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on this, or knows of anyone wanting to trade pickups.
    The sound I'm going for is that of Asian Kung-Fu Generation's bassist Takahiro Yamada. Good examples of his tone are on the songs blackout, solanin, and mustang.
    I have an Eden WT800 running into an Eden D410XLT, and soon also a D115XLT or D212XLT. Thank you.

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I'm surprised you're looking to change out those pickups. I've had a bunch of other P bass pickups in my Aerodyne and the EMG PX pickup wins hands down.

3. Those X-series EMGs are quite new though aren't they? As in, weren't introduced until 2010 or something like that? If so I would doubt that any second-hand bass would come with them pre-installed. You're right though, I have heard that they're really good, a noticeable difference from the older EMGs (not that I have any plans to upgrade).

4. So what makes you think it's the pickups?

5. SandCBass

SandCBass

Dec 4, 2011
    Big Lake, MN
    I'm just not a fan of them, they are the new X-series. I prefer passive pickups more is all. Nothing bad with the EMGs, just not my cup of tea.

6. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    SD Spb-1 are great pickups. Great traditional pbass sound

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The Fender Original P pickup is great as well. It's the same one used on the '62 reissue P basses and costs about $70. For $90-95 you can get hand wound pickups from Chris Klein (www.kleinpickups.com) or Curtis Novak (www.curtisnovak.com) and these are truly boutique pickups with mojo. For $110 you can get a Jason Lollar pickup, $115 gets you a Norstrand and at the top of the price scale at $140 is the Lindy Fralin.

If price was the most important factor I would get the Fender pickup. If money was no object I would get the Klein (which I have and loooove) or the Novak. They are all fine pickups though so it's just choosing between different shades of awesome.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like the 62 a lot, and my friends in the know say the SPB-1 is the best commercially made vintage style P pickup out there. I love EMG's too but they are a different vibe than passives, no doubt.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yup - I prefer it over the Fender '62 reissue, actually - tried em both in the same bass, the SPB-1 won out...

- georgestrings

10. netface

netface

Jan 27, 2008
    NH
    you gonna sell the emg then?

11. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Anybody had experience with the EMG PVX? Not to many sets out there in use, but I imagine EMG might build one on order. I've got JVX's in a fretless, like 'em a lot!

The original 62 set has that nice push in the upper mids that works so well with flats... my experience with the Duncan SPB-1 was a smoother sound, not my thing, but i thought these that might work well for me with active electronics and roundwounds.

The Fralin P I owned was under wound, and sounded anemic in my bass. The original 62 trumped it by a long shot. No contest.