Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P bass fan club roll call.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Sep 1, 2000.

1. My name's Andy and I love P basses.

:)

Andy

2. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    As the throngs of Pbass addicts yell....Hi Andy!

Even though I don't own a Pbass, can I still be in your club? I still love them.

Pretty please!

3. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    My MIA P Deluxe has gone from #2 to #1 in the last few weeks...

-GM

4. Doug..

Worshippng from afar is cool...welcome!

Andy

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    While the original, plain vanilla p is cool, I must admit I enjoy my variations (Elite II and walnut Precision Special) a little more for their variations.

Can I still be in the club- I'll play my maple fretless p this weekend!

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have two Precision Elites a I and a II. I gig several times a month with the Elite I and take my Jazz along as backup (and to use on a few songs). The Elite II is in too good of shape to take to clubs. I have always had Precisions since the early 70's. If there is a club, count me in.

7. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    P-Basses rule!I love my P-bass. when ever i get another bass, my P will always be my (P)icking Bass.

8. I've got an MIA P Deluxe Plus. I'll just take a seat here in the back row.

9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I don't own one---don't even like playing them, BUT----I really dig their sound!!

Does that count? :confused:

10. Move over please, I need a place to put my '68 P-Bass! :)

11. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Count me in!

12. I don't own one either, but have played lots of 'em, and lusted a couple BADLY at Bass NW. They had a '76 sunburst with a brass nut and brass Ken Smith bridge on it that had a tone like no other; absolutely killer, but the Boss said no. Oh, well. She did say yes to the fretless Sterling that's on the way ;) I want to say that I would be in this club officially, but I was DENIED entry :D

13. Man, Bass NW has a TON of beautiful used Fenders right now!
    I've owned two P-basses: a Precision Lyte, which was my first real bass and the instrument I learned to play on, and a sunburst '68 P, which I sold and wish I hadn't.

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I don't own a P yet, but i love their necks & am thinking about getting one for my jazz or since the price probably would be close just getting a MIM P-bass might be a good idea since i already own the MIM Jazz. Must...get...p-bass :D

15. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I have a MIA Jazz and a MIM P. The P gets the most playing time - by far.

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I'm a J guy but would really love a 60's P or a American 51 reissue ooooohhhhh!!. Had a 82 Squier P was a great playing P in mint condition but I sold to a player just starting out for practically nothing but it started aout a new player on his journey.

17. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Yessir...I reckon I belong here as well. Even though I was just typing away in another thread about my Sadowsky, the bass that continues to The Standard by which all new aquisitions are judged is....(drum roll)......my Sunburst '83 Precision. It was my first bass (bought new back in college at old KU with a little help from Guaranteed Student Loan cash! ;) )

I recently removed the standard white pickguard and pickup covers and have "62-ized" it by putting black pickup covers and a tortoise-shell pickguard on it. Chrome covers might happen...we'll see. I love this bass! It is the bass that taught me how to play. Whenever I feel a little lost or confused by pickup selectors or active preamps or technology in general, I spend a little time with the old '83 Precision. Then I remember what a bass is supposed to sound like! :)

yours,
    Craig

18. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I love my '97 J with Barts but its my '75 P that gets played about 80% of the time.

19. well, there you have it. I like the feel of the thing, the sound of it...ironically, I find I am getting and using a wider range of tones on my P than I ever did on my old Jazz.

My current P (my second...I, too, had and 82 MIJ Squier P for som time which was exceptional...but maple neck. I like rosewood) is a former fretless P. The shop couldn't shift it (no one goes for fretless P basses here in Turkey) so I go a really good price. I fretted it, changed the pickguard to black (the body is black as well...it looks stunning!) and now use it for everything other than lounge jazz, for which the more double bass like sound of the Rob Allen wins out.

A point of interest...I have the best fretting you'll find anywhere on a MIA P bass. Reason? It was fretless, and I had it fretted with great care and precision. Not quick factory fretting. Spent all afternoon and early evening watching the guy doing it. The first fretting of a neck is like the first baking of cookies...the best ones come out!

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Let's see, of the 12+ basses I've owned in my life, three of them were Fender Precisions. The First was an Elite II with a Jazz neck, The second one a fretless Acoustic Electric Precision. The latter was traded in for a used Steinberger Fretless, but the Elite was traded for a '69 Precision whose picture is in another thread. That one's the keeper.

Will C.:cool: