P-bass fans.... 1 3/4" or 1 1/2"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPJ, Aug 20, 2004.

P-bass necks: 1 3/4" or 1 1/2"

Poll closed Sep 19, 2004.
  1. I prefer a 1 3/4" P-bass neck with my P-bass

20 vote(s)
  2. I prefer a 1 1/2" Jazz neck with my P-bass

32 vote(s)
  3. I have a P neck and wouldn't change it for the world!

18 vote(s)
  4. If I could keep my P-bass and magically slim the nut to 1 1/2", I'd do it fo' sho'!

13 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    For those TBers who dig the classic P-bass tone, do you prefer the 1 3/4" spacing or have you opted for 1 1/2" jazz bass spacing for your necks. Also, if you have a P with traditional spacing, would you change to jazz spacing if you could (i.e. keep the classic P tone but go for the slimmer neck)? Just wondering where the P-bass fans stand on this issue.
  2. i like the std. p-bass neck because you can dig into it more.
  3. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    I'd be tickled to death if my Lull P-4 had a 1 1/2" neck and a J pup at the bridge ... don't get me wrong though--I still dig it like it is. It has a 1 3/4" which is pretty wide but it's flat on the back which makes it feel nicer. Maybe a 1 5/8" would be a nice compromise and still feel comfy.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends on the profile of the back. I find the 1 5/8" to be very comfortable.
  5. I have a Fender Custom Shop Vintage Precision that has a 1 5/8" neck width and find that it is a nice compromise.
  6. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    As much as I love the slim neck on my Jazz Bass, it just wouldn't feel right with my Precision. The only way I'd put a Jazz neck on a Precision would be if I could ever make enough money to have my customized guitar made.
  7. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I believe that Fender stopped making 1 3/4" necks in the 60's except for the reissues. Seems like since then they've been either 1 5/8" or 1 1/2". I used to like the 1 3/4" but now I find the 1 5/8" to fit pretty well since I mostly play a jazz.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've never liked the Fender "A" neck (1-1/2" nut) on either P or J basses. I'll take either a "B" (1-5/8") or a "C" (1-3/4").
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Although my J neck is a lot faster, I dig the P because of the string spacing and it's something I can really wrap my hands around.
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hey JPJ,

My parts bass has a Jazz Neck, Dinky Jazz Body, but a PJ pup combo... Don't get me wrong, if I won a P bass, I'd leave the P neck on it... But, since I built this one from parts, I got what I wanted, ya know?
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    1 3/4 for recording
    1 5/8 for live playing
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1.75" or bust.

Which makes shopping for a bass a pain in the butt, let me tell you. Tons of companies put 5ers on a nut width like that (45mm). Meanwhile, if I kept the string ratio, I'd need a 2.18" nut for a 5er; most would consider that a 6er nut. Heck, even Modulus' "Wide 5" is only 2" at the nut.

About the only people that respect my wishes for a 4 string are G&L and Epiphone (and then only the Thunderbird). Literally nobody makes a 5 as wide as I'd like it. After 5, I can start taking hits on the nut spacing, though.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Fender Vintage Reissue P-basses are 1.75" at the nut (you probably knew this).
  14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO, the 1 3/4 is the ticket to the classic P-Bass tone.

My first 2 P-Basses were wonderfully abused 70's models. They had maple fingerboards and measured 1 3/4" at the nut. Both had that classic P-Bass honkin', raw tone. I never should've sold them, -youth! :crying:

I recently sold a P-body/J-neck Frankenstein; I liked how it played, but it did'nt sound as vintage as I like.

My new P-Bass is an MIA Standard, it's neck is 1 5/8" at the nut. It's chunkier than I'm accustomed to from a P-Bass, but it still has that honk (especially after I replaced the stock pickup with the Nordstrand NP4 ;) ).

Just my 1 3/4" cents! :D
  15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm pretty sure the two 70's P-Basses I had were 1 3/4" at the nut. :confused: Maybe they were 'B" necks.

My '57 re-issue was made in the early 80's, it was my favorite P-Bass and like you said, it was 1 3/4". It now rocks out with my friend in the L.A.-area.
  16. 1 5/8 is pretty cool, I'd say. I like Jazz necks, but for me P basses need a larger neck to feel like P basses.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aye. Too bad they're out of my price range, and I can get ahold of a couple custom luthiers for that kinda scratch.