1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-bass fans.... 1 3/4" or 1 1/2"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPJ, Aug 20, 2004.

P-bass necks: 1 3/4" or 1 1/2"

Poll closed Sep 19, 2004.
  1. I prefer a 1 3/4" P-bass neck with my P-bass

20 vote(s)
    25.3%
  2. I prefer a 1 1/2" Jazz neck with my P-bass

32 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. I have a P neck and wouldn't change it for the world!

18 vote(s)
    22.8%
  4. If I could keep my P-bass and magically slim the nut to 1 1/2", I'd do it fo' sho'!

13 vote(s)
    16.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    For those TBers who dig the classic P-bass tone, do you prefer the 1 3/4" spacing or have you opted for 1 1/2" jazz bass spacing for your necks. Also, if you have a P with traditional spacing, would you change to jazz spacing if you could (i.e. keep the classic P tone but go for the slimmer neck)? Just wondering where the P-bass fans stand on this issue.

2. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    i like the std. p-bass neck because you can dig into it more.

3. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    I'd be tickled to death if my Lull P-4 had a 1 1/2" neck and a J pup at the bridge ... don't get me wrong though--I still dig it like it is. It has a 1 3/4" which is pretty wide but it's flat on the back which makes it feel nicer. Maybe a 1 5/8" would be a nice compromise and still feel comfy.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends on the profile of the back. I find the 1 5/8" to be very comfortable.

5. I have a Fender Custom Shop Vintage Precision that has a 1 5/8" neck width and find that it is a nice compromise.

6. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    As much as I love the slim neck on my Jazz Bass, it just wouldn't feel right with my Precision. The only way I'd put a Jazz neck on a Precision would be if I could ever make enough money to have my customized guitar made.

7. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I believe that Fender stopped making 1 3/4" necks in the 60's except for the reissues. Seems like since then they've been either 1 5/8" or 1 1/2". I used to like the 1 3/4" but now I find the 1 5/8" to fit pretty well since I mostly play a jazz.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've never liked the Fender "A" neck (1-1/2" nut) on either P or J basses. I'll take either a "B" (1-5/8") or a "C" (1-3/4").

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Although my J neck is a lot faster, I dig the P because of the string spacing and it's something I can really wrap my hands around.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hey JPJ,

My parts bass has a Jazz Neck, Dinky Jazz Body, but a PJ pup combo... Don't get me wrong, if I won a P bass, I'd leave the P neck on it... But, since I built this one from parts, I got what I wanted, ya know?

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    1 3/4 for recording
    1 5/8 for live playing

12. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1.75" or bust.

Which makes shopping for a bass a pain in the butt, let me tell you. Tons of companies put 5ers on a nut width like that (45mm). Meanwhile, if I kept the string ratio, I'd need a 2.18" nut for a 5er; most would consider that a 6er nut. Heck, even Modulus' "Wide 5" is only 2" at the nut.

About the only people that respect my wishes for a 4 string are G&L and Epiphone (and then only the Thunderbird). Literally nobody makes a 5 as wide as I'd like it. After 5, I can start taking hits on the nut spacing, though.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Fender Vintage Reissue P-basses are 1.75" at the nut (you probably knew this).

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO, the 1 3/4 is the ticket to the classic P-Bass tone.

My first 2 P-Basses were wonderfully abused 70's models. They had maple fingerboards and measured 1 3/4" at the nut. Both had that classic P-Bass honkin', raw tone. I never should've sold them, -youth! :crying:

I recently sold a P-body/J-neck Frankenstein; I liked how it played, but it did'nt sound as vintage as I like.

My new P-Bass is an MIA Standard, it's neck is 1 5/8" at the nut. It's chunkier than I'm accustomed to from a P-Bass, but it still has that honk (especially after I replaced the stock pickup with the Nordstrand NP4 ;) ).

Just my 1 3/4" cents! :D

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm pretty sure the two 70's P-Basses I had were 1 3/4" at the nut. :confused: Maybe they were 'B" necks.

My '57 re-issue was made in the early 80's, it was my favorite P-Bass and like you said, it was 1 3/4". It now rocks out with my friend in the L.A.-area.

16. 1 5/8 is pretty cool, I'd say. I like Jazz necks, but for me P basses need a larger neck to feel like P basses.

17. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aye. Too bad they're out of my price range, and I can get ahold of a couple custom luthiers for that kinda scratch.