P bass feel on a five string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sethlow3, Apr 4, 2004.

1. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I am sure something like this has been posted, but I couldn't find any good search results after searching (for 12 different variations of this type of thing)

I have found the most comfortable feel for me is the pbass bulk of a neck. It feels great to me compared to all the other types of necks. I am getting a new five and was curious as to what "feels" the most like a pbass.

Spacing, radius of wood, everything in terms of feel for the left hand. I don't look to go custom. Just a five, used, 34" or 35"
    But nothing flat or "asymetrical" or jazz like in feel at all. P bass all the way in fe

BTW I am not asking for P bass specs just good brands that capture the pbass feel (not sound).....
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess the best would be to get a Fve string fender Deluxe. Roger Sadowsky can make a five string style P-bass. I am seriously considering going that route myself. I just don't know if I want the wait or want to dedicate the funds involved. :confused:
  3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I hear alot of good things about the Mike Lull P5-and they are reasonably priced.
  4. whos Roger Sadowsky?
  5. :D
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The club-like neck of the Ernie Ball Stingray 5 may suit you.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Warwicks have necks similiar to P basses.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you can afford it, Roscoe SKB or LGs are to P-basses what Sadowsky is to a Jazz.
  9. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Do a search under Lull P5 and you'll find more than a few threads and lots of comments that should give you some helpful information.
  10. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Looks like mike lull is popular. What else do you guys play? Roscoe is almost there in feel but I'd like to have a Roscoe and with something else. I do keep contemlating Warwick but they never quite suit me in sound.

11. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I would second the Stingray suggestion. The neck is very thick and baseball-bat-like. The string spacing is very different, but for me that fat neck is great.
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Curiously enough, the Fender Jazz V may fit the bill. It's got a big fat substantial neck. Feels more like a "P" than a "J" to me.
  13. scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Walking Tall-style necks rule! :D
  14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    dunno if its "club-like" but my ray is comfy. if ur the guy i remember you can sure play the hell outa that p bass! maybe the lull or a 'dowsky is for you. maybe you should consult a custom maker ala nord. or some of our local in house guys here?
  15. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Thank you Jon, if I am that one who "can play the hell outta that Pbass"

I hate fender 5s. To me the only fender that comes close is an RB5 which I found to be "okay". Warwick shmarwick...
    Ernie Ball Stingray just isn't for me in sound or feel. I am willing to bet the lull P5 feels like the modern 5 which is okay but not quite what I am looking for. I don't think I'd want to go custom. There is so much risk and money involved. There isn't much of a try before you buy, plus restocking fees after waiting for 3-6 months for the bass to be built.

There must be SOMETHING else that is a 5 that feels like a Pbass! (not looks or sounds like a pbass)
  16. Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    G&L 5ers have nice "huskey" necks. Very nice to play and a tone of tone options. There ever made 5 string version of the SB1 called the l5000. I've been trying to get one but always get beat on EBay when they pop up.
  17. I love my Stingray5, but the neck is actually relatively thinner compared to the Stingray4, which is comparatively thicker.
    I honestly can't think of a 5 that feels like a P...And I also am not a fan of any 5 string made by Fender (I'm sorry, but they just DON'T know how to make 5 strings properly).

Maybe try one of those G&L 5 strings, see if you can check em out.
  18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Stingray necks are not club like at all. They have a large neck radius and are thinner from front to back than a standard P bass. G&L 4 strings with 7.5" radius are very fat but the 5 strings only come with a 12" radius. Warwick necks are definitely like clubs.
  19. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    For left hand feel, in terms of 'meatiness' front to back; probably a Warwick. Sorry.

For spacing, which I'm gathering was important to you because the only Fender 5 you like is the Roscoe Beck: Lakland. Are they making a Bob Glaub 5er? Especially a Skyline version?

I am on a similar quest and I currently am considering the KSD V60'sj 5. Very much a J inspired axe, but I'm pretty okay with Jazz 4's. But with the wide spacing like a Lakland. And the longer scale to tighten up the B. Maybe I'll drop in a j-retro and be done. :bassist: