1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-Bass: Fender MIJ vs. Lakland GLAUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Apr 1, 2006.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I love my Lakland 55-02D.
    But I've been having some "P envy" lately.

The Skyline Bob Glaub would usually be my first choice based on my satisfaction with the 55-02. However, I've been hearing some real good things about MIJ Fenders and they are only about half the price of a new Glaub (plus I like that "Rocco Prestia" like model at GuitarJapan. If they had that model in a 3 tone burst with a rosewood or ebony board it would be all over.).

So.....
    Whaddaya think?

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I've heard nothing but praise for the MIJ Fenders.

That being said, I personally would rather get a used Glaub, not only for the fit/finish, but also for that amazing Fralin pickup. The Glaub I played had the best P bass sound I've ever heard from an instrument I've played.

Of course, I suppose you could just drop one in a MIJ Fender . . .

Fret size is another difference, do you like the vintage small frets on your Lakie, or would you prefer the larger frets? More colors are available for the MIJ Fender, if appearance is an important factor, and it has the name . . .

Customer support is another issue to be considered as well -- I think Lakland probably wins on this one.

Bottom line is that either bass would probably be more than satisfactory.

3. they will play different... for lakands, it's all in the neck.. =)

4. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Another posabillity is the new Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn,
    its a p-bass with a jazz 1.5 neck/blocks/binding,but only
    comes in one color (car),i've got one on order,check the
    Lakland site!

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I love the look (blocks baby!) of the Dunn, but I prefer the P spacing at the nut.

FWIW, the Glaub is available with the J nut spacing if I wanted that anyway.:)

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I do like the Lakland smaller frets.:bassist:

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Actually, the Skyline Glaub is no longer available with the 1.5" nut width, which is a bummer. For that, you need to go with the Duck Dunn these days. (And I might do just that when they're available.)

Also, some of the MIJ Fenders have vintage thin fretwire. I had a '94 Foto Flame, which was basically a '62 reissue with a different finish, and it had the vintage wire. So check the specs if that matters.

As for value, the MIJ Fenders are tought to beat. My Foto Flame had incredible vintage tone, and with high output too. I didn't like the glossy finish neck and 1.75" nut, plus I preferred the feel and balance of my '04 MIA, so I sold it. I suspect the Glaub would be even better with its Lindy Fralin pickup, and Lakland's quality control is verging on legendary, so if you can spring for that and don't mind the 1.75" nut, go for it. Otherwise, a used Am. Series Fender could be a good bet.

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Also, do you like the vintage radius (7.25") found on the CIJ Precision, or the 10" radius found on the Lakland?

9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Fingerboard radius either way has never bothered me.

10. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    With the CIJ Precision , if you get a 62 reissue the nut will be about 1 5/8"(42mm). If you go with one of there 70's reissues the nut will be a hair over 1 1/2" (40mm).
    Also on the CIJ,either with 62's or 70's reissue P's,you get a vintage looking tuning peg that has a back mounting plate that is the shape of a 70's tuner. Straight (nontapered) post. Pots are said to be small and do the job but may need eventual upgrading. I wonder if the routing for the pots will allow for a larger standard size pot to fit in there? If you like the Fralins or any pickup up grade for that matter factor in an extra $160. Better tuners eventually $90ish. Alot of owners say the tuners do them just fine though. I believe the frets on the CIJ's are more smaller vintage sized.
    http://www.excite.co.jp/world/engli...tar/fender-j/bs-index.htm&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2
    Check out this site if you haven't already...while at this site you should click on the link at the top of page that says "A Kanda Co. original model here" There are more Fender reissue basses there too that are just made by a different supplier (i guess you would call it). I can see why everyone is so up on these CIJ's they got some great old style basses you just can't get in U.S. market. Nice vintage looking yellowing to the necks.

The Laklands do come stocked up with some nice brand name hardware and electronics Hipshot...Lindy Fralin...stand up service people right here in old U.S.A. Yup...it's a very tough decision !!

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The pots IMO do the job perfectly. I can't say about the routing, but I do know for sure that the holes in the pickguard will need enlarging if you decide to change to the larger standard size pots.

You are correct, the frets are the vintage size.

IMO the tinting of the neck/headstock on my CIJ '62 P is perfect, and the finish on the back of the neck is not sticky feeling at all.

I agree it may be a hard decision for some (Lakland vs CIJ Fender). The truth is I've never tried the Lakland, but my CIJ Fender is so nice that I really have no need to (this mindset is wonderful at keeping the GAS under control).