1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P Bass Find - Questionable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbalou02, Apr 14, 2010.

1. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Hi, I've found a P Bass that if it really is a MIJ might be a good deal. He says the neck is very nice. Straight, truss rod works fine, frets are in good shape. Body has minimal scratches on it.
    It has a vintage BadAss II bridge and brand new Fender American tuners w/ a Hipshot D-tuner, vintage pic guard. He was told by the previous owner it is a CIJ but there are no visible serial numbers. The pic's I've got are not very good, so I can't tell a lot of detail. Is there any tell tale sign of it being a real Japan P without taking the bass apart? He's nervous about doing this, isn't very handy and doesn't want to take the risk. He said had it set up by a luthier when he bought it and it plays great, doesn't want to screw that up. Based on the knowledge it may not be a real CIJ, what do you think its worth? Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    Your profile suggests you know a thing or two, so I won't patronise you by saying "play it first", but I certainly think the seller ought to produce some better photos than that. Really no visible numbers?

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Pics suggest the neck is a Mighty Mite with a reproduction logo on it.

4. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Unfortunately, its about 4 states away. He says no numbers anywhere, and doesn't want to mess with removing the neck, which is understandable, especially if he's nervous about doing it and its up for sale. But if he had good information from doing it, it could bolster his asking price. On the other hand he could find out it's a knock off as well.

He claims it plays and sounds great, and guess if it's looks like a p and plays like p, I don't really care if it is one or not. But I definitely don't want to pay extra for one I can't be sure about. With that said, I was thinking $300ish would be fair?

5. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    I would say if he cant(wont) provide proof its authentic CIJ then offer what a squier with a mightymite would go for because with all the fender copies around there is a very good chance it is a squier body with a mightymite neck. Lets face it most people that "dont want to" do something is because they already know the answer

6. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    I was wondering. Decal gave me a funny feeling. My Warmoth J has a Mighty Mite on it, which is decent, but I'm not wild about.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

The truss rod hole on the Mighty Might is a dead giveaway and that looks like one. And I've seen those logos on other basses. That's a 70's era repro logo. I'm 95% certain of all of this. He even placed the decal incorrectly and put it a bit over the G string hole (hmmmm, I just noticed how I worded that :)). I'd pass...

8. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Mighty Mite neck - $100
    Badass II Bridge - $80
    Loaded Squire body - $70
    Fender Tuners w/ Hipshot D tuner - $100
    $350

Hmm, while I think I will pass, I'm wondering if $300 wouldn't be a bad investment if the bass plays and sounds right. Of course I have no way of verifying this. Unfortunately I live in BFE and if I wait for a local P I may never own one.

P.S. - By the way, I LOVE TALKBASS! This forum and its members rock.

9. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    if you can get it for 300.00 w/ case, I would get it. Even if it plays like crap, you could part that thing out and get more than 300.00 back for it. It appears to be a good looking bass, and it might just play as fantastic as the guy claims

10. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    Yes, that decal follows the lower contour of the headstock a little too closely.

11. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    I recommend you look local. Pay a few dollars more for a bass that's never been messed with, and try it out first to see if you like it.

12. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    I wish I could. I live north of Far Far Away...not much local to look at! Actually zero local to look at.

13. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Post a wanted ad on craigslist. Who knows what might be around. Just by taking a quick look, I saw a 98 american P bass near Grand Rapids for $750.

14. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    From the owner:

"The best i can do on the price is $300 plus shipping. I'll throw in the original bridge, the fourth Fender tuner that the hipshot replaced, and the black tuners that were on it when i got it."

I think you might be right TC. I might just roll the dice on this one. I've talked to and emailed this guy a few different times, I get a good feeling about him. Worst case is it will give me something to play "mad bass scientist" on.

15. Quad nice! hehehehehe

Def a repro you might get $300 out of it if you get it for $300.

16. I'd ask to split shipping- I'm a cheap/poor bastige. :)

17. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    You can atleast hock that Badass bridge for some dough right?

18. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    the tuners, bridge and case alone are worth around 300.00. If you don't want it, PM me the seller's info. I'll buy it.

19. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    I pulled the trigger. I think its a pretty safe gamble. Plus I'm tired of tuning down on the two songs we play with drop D tuning. I'll update you all with pics in a few days! Thanks for all the input.

20. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    Seems like a solid investment, even if it is a copy. You wouldn't be able to assemble a copy like that for twice that money. I'm not an authority on the subject, but I'm pretty sure that the truss rod hole is usually on the heel on the crafted in japan basses. All the ones that I've seen at least. But again, some people will tell you that mighty mite necks are better than Fender's anyways. If it plays and feels great, who cares anyways?