P bass flat wounds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BOOG, Jan 24, 2018.

1. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    DISCLAIMER: yes, this may have been covered in the past but I didn’t have any luck in finding answers to my specific question. My apologies for redundancy.:meh:

ROTOSOUND 77’S

I love’m on my bass’s but they’re a hair too long for the E string wrap as, mine is not a string through body. Has anyone else dealt with this?
    It doesn’t bother me or the bass but, I am curious if there are flat wounds with braided ends that will completely cover the winding post and not enter the nut when strung through the bridge.

Thoughts, feelings or suggestions?

FWIW, I’m not going to be changing strings anytime soon but I will be inclined to try other brands in the future.

9ED896D9-EE68-4E19-8E46-95990CC09AC8.jpeg 4AE24D31-D9C3-4546-A2FC-75720D2F052F.jpeg

2. I have Chromes on both of my P Basses and have neither of the problems you experienced.

oMetaloHead likes this.
  3. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    What kind of chromes?
    Brand?
    Gauge?
    Flats?

4. Chromes are a brand name for D'Addario flat wound bass strings. The sets I use are ECB81. The gauges of that set are 45 , 65 , 80 , and 100. They make other sets with both heavier and lighter gauges.

BOOG likes this.
  5. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Ok, thanks! I’ll look’m up.

6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

I'm assuming that it's your bass in the picture...
    Are you referring to what's going on at your E strings tuner post? It's just a result of the Roto 77's speaking length. Which is something you can look up, over on the Strings Forum. Couple of very informative sticky posts on the subject... My '78 P-Bass has Fender flat wounds on it; other than the silk being blue and the E string being on the other side, it looks exactly the same. The DR Sunbeams on my Warmoth Mini-P do that, too; a little worse, in fact. It's just not as noticeable, 'cause there's no silk. Unless you just don't like how it looks, there's no problem having a little of a string's speaking length wrapped around the tuner post. Sharkbait130 is right, however; because their speaking length's a little shorter that the Rotos', the Chromes won't have that "problem" with the E string. But, they won't sound like the Rotos, either... how they look, or how they sound, is up to you...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    BOOG likes this.
  7. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks for the thread reference. Will check it out.
    No, it doesn’t bother me at all except for a touch of aesthetic value but, when I am looking (these are only a couple of months old) to replace in a year or two or more I will want to have some ideas. Probably will end up with the Chrome flats. I actually like the metallic quality and the feel of the rotos. Contrary to that statement, overall, the longer they’re on the better. IMO.
    Again, thanks for the feedback!

8. Liam keane

Liam keane

Aug 28, 2017
    I went to a music store today and bought dunlop flatwounds that are amazing, very surprised, I little on the pricey side but very worth the money

BOOG likes this.
  9. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Good to know. Thank you for the feedback!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022