1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass for Gibson Rd Artist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfart, Jul 21, 2012.

1. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    I have an all original 1973 Fender Precision in Oly White, with an "A" maple neck. It plays great and sounds awesome, but I might have an opportunity to trade for a Sunburst Gibson RD Artist 1978. I am on the fence about so I thought I would look to my TB Bros for some opinions. Would you make this trade? The Moog electronics work on the Gibson.

image-4247870991.

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    The P-bass has a higher resale value. It's not a good "straight across" trade...

3. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    Keep the P !!

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I'd do the trade. P Basses are so common and easily replaced, but a nice vintage RD Artist is few and far between. I used to have a couple of RD Artist guitars, great tone monsters, and the compressor in them was real nice, too. :bassist:

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

See if you can first do a weeklong trade or some such to see if it really works for you. I love the looks of an RD but not at the expense of my basses that work: my MIA Precisions.

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    You're thinking of trading a great playing, awesome sounding bass for a quirky bass that is worth less? Why is that??

7. Straight-up trade? No.

8. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    Thanks for the input people, I am going to keep the P bass and save my pennies for a Mike Lull T-bird.