Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Bass for slapping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Hey, I have a Ibanez sr400... anyways, i dont like taking it to my high school because it gets scratched up *curses at kids*

Anyway, so im playing a song that is funk, so of course, slap bass is most appropriot. Now the school owns a really cheap Squir P Bass... and it just doesn't sound right.

I just need to know, is it something i'm doing.... or is it something wrong with the strings/fretboard/pickups or are P basses just not meant to be slapped on?

*I highly doubt it's something i'm doing cuz when i practice the song at home on my ibanez it sounds right...

2. it's the bass, trust me, I just sold my p because of its slap tone

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There is probably nothing wrong with your technique. A P-bass doesn't have a pickup closer to the bridge like many basses, so it's slap tone is not as snappy and bright as many other basses.

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    It's the bass. Our schools bass was a Slammer P-bass. It was horrible for slap, and just plain horrible for everything. Why do school buy such nice brass equipment and such crappy bass/guitar equipment?

5. :eek:

I hope you are joking.

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    He doesn't know any better. He will learn in time.

7. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Steve Harris?

8. Amen Danny!

P-bass' are good for rock.

STEVE HARRIS RULEZ

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dig the P bass slap tone, so different strokes I guess.

I find that a Pbass is only as versatile as your playing hand.

If you have lousy, noisy technique then no it will sound like it has one sound that can only change through use of the tone control. Conversely, if you have great technique and a many different plucking styles you can find tons of great tones.

A few of the more easy to coax out sounds are:

1. Thumpy Motown sound
    2. Palm muted riff rock tone
    3. Smooth RnB tone
    4. Thick Entwistle rock sound

The harder tones to get are:

1. Sharp/Crisp Marcus style slap tones (can be had with the right fretboard, amp eq, and steel roundwound strings)
    2. Thin Jacoesque tone (right eq, and playing back by the bridge)
    3. Tapping tone that isn't too thick

Take my advice with a grain of salt though. :D

10. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Though your technique is just one of many factors. type of pup, wood, strings. It can't all just be technique. Though it is a major part.

11. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    slapping on a pbass will give you that hollow vintage slap sound...some people like it, i personally think its too clunky...

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There was this decade called the '70s when a form of music called Disco was popular... P Basses were quite often the bass of choice and were slapped silly.

A new set of roundwound strings would probably help a whole lot.

Remember, it's all about attitude...slap with attitude and you'll be fine!!!

13. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    i have a p bass special that i slap on. maybe its because i learned to slap on it. so i think its weird to slap on like a music man or some bass like that. although it is nice and fun.

i have the p on to slap, not the j. when i have the j on, it sounds tooo thin and toooo fragile and just hurts the ears.

p bass for life.

14. Why is that? Ever listened to the Meters? ;)

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'm in agreement with the P slap haters... I was reminded of how much I dislike Slap P tone today when I was wanking at the local music store. Then, I picked up an Epiphone EBO and absolutely loved the slap tone... too bad those things are so ugly (IMO).
    Point: If you are prefer J or dual-coil humbucker slap tone, than chances are that a P bass is not going to make you happy. P basses are great, just not for me. :D

16. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Try with them both on. I put both of mine on full, and I love my slap tone

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I think slapped P's sound much better than slapped J's, but then I'm weird.

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I daresay if you listen to many of the Funk and Disco hits of the 70's, you'll hear a lot of funky bass lines being slapped on a P-Bass. At least I do. IMO The P-Bass has a pretty good slap tone, but I'd probably prefer the Jazz for all-out slapping.

That being said, I'm a terrible slapper. :D
    But IMO the P-Bass' tone works very well in a wide range of styles.

19. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Come on now. Chuck Rainey slapped on a 57 precision for years before he added a back pickup. Bobby Watson sounded great on his P bass slapped and plucked. It may not be as snappy as a jazz bass slapped or the active basses of today, but I love the way you can slap a P and get the thump even if the high snap isn't as snappy.