1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P Bass Forever!... I'll never own any other again!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 12, 2007.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Okay, maybe not ever, but I have fallen seriously hard for the P bass tone. I put together a P bass from various parts ( geddy jazz neck / squire p body / Nordstrand NP4s) and its the best bass tone I've ever heard come from my rig.

My first bass was a geddy jazz and I've played it exclusively for the last few years. I've enjoyed its playability, but there is no comparison in terms of tone... even though it has set of Model Js in it. I've always known I'm more of P Bass guy, but until now I've never owned one. Okay, well I did have an SX shortscale P for awhile but...

Anyway, no more jazz basses for me... I just much prefer the tone of the P bass.:bassist:

Anyone else?

2. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    nice. how much did it cost for you to put the whole bass together. I hope to pick up a p bass in the future too (after playing one my friend has). just a great playing bass all around in my experience. I really felt at home on it.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I played a $200 MIM P with D'Addario Chrome flats on it for a few songs at a gig tonight and it sounded amazing.

My Bongo and Lakland are getting less and less work lately as my MIM and '74 P both sound great and I am also falling back in love with my Geddy and MIA JAzz Deluxe V basses!

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well the neck and tuners (HS ultralites) I scooped off my geddy which I've had for years so I dont count that as a cost. The Nordstrand NP4s I bought new and cost about $120 I think. I just got the squire body today and swapped it over. I actually got the whole squire bass for $130cdn. I have another squire body with which I dont really like the colour. So I'll make a new squire P bass and try to sell it for $100. So basically I'm out $150 once all is said and done.

Eventually I'm going to go the Warmoth route and put a nice walnut P together, but that's going to have to wait to I sell some other gear to fund it.

5. so far i own two basses, both P....

and its going to stay that way.

My last bass, hopefully, is going to be an acoustic bass guitar, so that won't count :p

6. exflavier@gmail

exflavier@gmail

Jun 21, 2007
    i too have 2 bass of which are pbasses. one fretless and one fretted; both american. now i need to get a 5 string p and i will be set.

but i'm getting a ric too because i get them cheap!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm bouncing between my 79 Precision and my Turser Beatle bass these days. I don't think I'm done with the bridge pickup forever, but I'm enjoying playing the Precision a lot on my oldies shows. I'm still undecided for the funk and jazz gigs, though. I miss the little extra finesse of the bridge pickup sometimes. But my Jazz is so heavy that I'm using the Precision anyway.

8. I love the P bass tone as well. I also love the Jazz tone and versatility. I'll always have at least one of each in my rack!!

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Now your talk'n.
    The percision is my fav. tone.
    My go to basses are.
    58-P-bass
    63-Jazz-body-62-Percision neck.
    1970-fretless P-bass.

10. I'm as much of a fan of gigantic pole pieces, as I am for P's...

and I'm seriously gassing to mod my BEAD P bass with a MM pickup..possibly a seymour...

but that makes me feel like it's no longer a P-Bass :p

allright it's settled, I'm throwing a Darkstar in the Bridge position, that still counts, right ;) ?

11. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I guess I'm backwards....I've went from playing a P-Bass to playing a Jazz Bass( but I still do play the P-Bass).

There even was a time when I didn't even want a Jazz Bass..but once I played the one I did at the store I was done. It had to go home with me.

12. Me too, I've flipped back and forth, but there are just some specific tones that you have to have a Jazz for. (depends on what you like to play I suppose)

13. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I like Ps with flatwounds on em, especially mine with my Seymour Duncan SBP-3 in it, but I don't care for the tone with rounds for some reason.

14. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Thump Thump Thump--That tone just suites me perfectly

Long live the Pee!

15. PICS... please... My GAS needs some bump.

16. I have 3 SX p basses and previously owned a 63 & 72 p bass (i let them go due to trying to fund my fantasy of having a rick and a jazz bass).
    I love the punch and tone of the p bass.

The p bass and its sound is the benchmark by which all other basses should be judged in my opinion. :D

17. It's BEAD, i aint no poser XD

oh yea, and I added the thumbrest

18. oh did u meant to ask, how is it for me? It's great. Nice tight feel on all strings, low action, perfect relief, huge thumpy sound. Pete Wentz is sort of a tool and a poser for leaving out the tone knob on this thing. It can be a little harsh at times.