Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-bass fretboard/neck repair question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hizzoner, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Hizzoner

Hizzoner Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    My 70's p-bass has a couple of spots on the maple headstock and fretboard where the clearcoat has been chipped or worn off. Additionally, there is a spot on the neck near the headstock on the first fret where the D and G strings have worn a slight groove into the fretboard. (this is undoubtedly due to a bad setup job years ago.....

1. Any suggestions on a durable clearcoat to touch up the neck with?- Shellac?

2. Should I use a light maple colored wood filler/clearcoat for the fretboard grooves?

3. How will this affect the resell value of the bass? I am interested in tidying it up a bit and selling or trading it.

Thanks

2. If your end desire is resale, don't touch it. Those anomaly's are known, accepted and pretty much expected to be seen on a bass of that age. Spot repairs of clear coats aren't an easy thing to do and it's especially difficult to make invisible. If it's seen by the buyer and it isn't a pro repair/resto, the question comes up as to what else might not be right, correct, repaired, or original on the instrument.

The things you've described don't affect the value at all. It is true that a pristine NOS specimen would fetch a higher price but that would be a very rare object. Your bass is right in there with all the rest of that vintage (maybe a little better condition) and will hold it's value when compared to them.