P-Bass Gas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rat, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    Don't know why I have this urge to snag a 50's style P-Bass with the ash trays....Played one and it felt too right for me ....seems the older I get the vintage looking gear looks better and better..:rolleyes:

though I have yet to play a bass that plays better than my 88 Spector ns...

Now I need to convice the Boss (aka,,the Wife) :bag:

I play Blues and oldies so it would fit right in look and tone wise
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I want one too. Just for the hell of it.
  3. Rat,

Try a mexi 'classic' P. Mine is blonde with a maple board, looks and sounds awesome, nice thin neck as well. You'll have to be the finger rest and covers as extra though.

Good luck!
  4. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I almost hit GC today to try a bunch of P-basses out...but my car decided otherwise :crying: ..

I had a Mexican Jazz for a while was ok at best..but I'll definately check out the p-bass version, and a few other ones
  5. I'm with the GAS for a Classic 50's too. That Jamerson tone drives me crazy... :bassist:

And they are damn sexy :D
  6. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    For Jamerson tone you'd have to get 62, while some of his stuff was on a 58, his main electric, know as the funk machine, was a 62 pbass.
  7. I have GAS for a Fender American P-Bass and a Fender Rumble 100/115.:crying:
  8. Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    I dont . haha. Seriously i think they're ugly. BUt with a few stickers, my old squier was nice. I dont even know what strings were on there but it seriously sounded nice. Right now Id love to get my hands on any kind of jazz bass, even if it is a barracuda. Hahaha
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are a number of web stores that sell the ashtrays, controls, etc. for the vintage look; you could pick up any decent P bass and fit it out with the vintage accessories.
  10. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah I just added the ashtray and bridge cover to my 97, sounds great with the foam.
  11. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    She'd probably sign off on an SX. You'd get it out of your system for about $100 bucks.
  12. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    you don't get out much do you...

not only will it play better, it'll sound better.
  13. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    Actually I have played a ton of other bass's even other Spectors and they still dont cut it, even the high end basses...thou most were at music stores where the set ups where probably questionable

could be the set up or it has brain washed me on what a good bass should feel/sound like after 18 years as my main bass...and I had a ton of basses

but still I crave another P-bass, scary huh? :rollno: