Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-bass growl?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpaceRat, Jan 20, 2003.

1. SpaceRat

SpaceRat

Mar 11, 2002
    London, UK
    I'm looking for a sound similar to "Not now John" by Pink Floyd which sounds very much like a p-bass but it has more grind/growl the p's normally have. Any ideas on how to get this sound out of a p?

2. Maybe it was a fretless, with a preamp dumped in.

I'm not at all an expert with preamps, so I couldn't suggets one for you.. Check your amp settings too.

:cool:

3. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN

What a great song from the last great Pink Floyd album. I've only ever seen Waters with a P-bass in his hands so it is do-able. Good luck.

4. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I get more growl from my P-bass clone (G&L SB-1) when I use fresh round wounds, roll off the tone control most of the way, and dig in over the pickup.

It helps to have tone settings that don't scoop the mids too much. For me, the signature Pbass growl has some really nice "velvety" mids.

Try playing along with music as well. Sometimes the tone of the bass alone isn't what you think you want to hear, but when used in an ensemble, the tone smooths out.

5. SpaceRat

SpaceRat

Mar 11, 2002
    London, UK
    Might play with eq settings, which frequencies should I try? I'm using 40-100 elite strings right now, would heavier gauge/different strings help?

Thanks for the replies