1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass Help-Again

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jun 3, 2012.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Looking into a P-Bass for a more stripped down, vintage vibe. I have read a bunch of things for the new P-basses. Thinner undercoat, lighter tuners, heavier bridge, P bass standard, special, Hwy 1 and on and on and on. Someone help me figure this out. Other than picking up a 1973 P bass, what new bass compares. Now I am not much at all interested in MIJ, MIK or Squires. Just the plain P bass with passive electronics, single split pickup, maple board MIA P-bass...

2. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    I would just go with the plain old American Standard P. Or, if you got the cash, one of the Vintage reissue Ps might be closer to what you're looking for.
    As for the "thinner undercoat, lighter tuners, heavier bridge" thing, I don't really think all of that matters on a P as much as some people think it does. IMHO, a passive P is a passive P. They're all gonna sound like a P bass. That's the beauty of the P. So go play a few, and get the one that plays, feels, and looks the way you want it to. If it's a passive P, the sound will take care of itself. One of the reasons I love them so much. Again, MHO.

3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I agree with gitlvr.

It sounds like you've already made your decision anyway (which is a good one!).

4. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    +1 - best instruments out of Fender since 1965.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My first bass was a brand new 1974 P Bass. Natural finish on an Ash body. The finish on that bass was about as thick as the varnish on a state park picnic table. It was awful...but then again so was the bass.

A newer MIA P-Bass with graphite in the neck to help get rid of the dead spot would be a great thing!

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The new "standard MIA" Precisions I've played are more "modern" sounding to me. I don't know whether it's the heavier bridge or the pickups but both can be changed relatively cheaply and easily.
    My main P-bass is a well worn '93 MIJ 62RI. I would recommend one of these to anyone looking for a traditional sounding/looking Precision. I've also loved the Road Worn P-basses I've played in terms of capturing that "simple" old school P-bass feel...but it's up to you whether you like the look or not...but man, they are light and feel great, IMO.

7. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I agree +100. I'm sure there were lots of great ones produced during their 43 year dark period :)D), but these '08+ AMStds are among their best ever.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep, either an MIA P or an AVRI (to get a maple board you'd have to go with a 57')

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Remember to get it with a cool color.

10. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    If one were to want a Fender to sound modern, these fret destroyers made by Rotosound can make most any P or J rip through the mix in an almost hi-fi fashion. But, if you (like me) are not interested in trying to make a Fender cover hi-fi territory, just stay away from SS rounds.

Immediately after putting flats on my '11 AmStd P, it started sounding pretty darned old school. Add a few months of play on the flats, they mellowed out into an even warmer sound. The other day, I slid a piece of foam under the strings at the bridge, and now it's pure classic.

11. mooreon131

mooreon131

Mar 16, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I'd go with the Fender 57 p re-issue. It sounds great, and has all the features you want. The only thing I can't stand about it is the gold anodized pickguard, but you can easily swap that out.

12. Newbie here..... I'm just about to buy a 2012 American Standard P Bass...... Is there going to be a tone or sound difference between the rosewood and the lighter neck? I've got a Squire P Bass with a rosewood neck... It's easy to see the strings and frets.... In not sure whether the lighter neck would make a difference and be a bit more difficult for a newbie..... Still undecided about colour too...OW or CCOLA. I've noticed a lot of 1970s players with the OW and it's got a rosewood neck as well in stock.... But the CCOLA looks really good too but perhaps with the lighter neck looks more like a guitar than a Bass? Signing off, confused newbie

13. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Maple fretboards are as classic on basses as they are on guitars, as is rosewood. You'll find a lot of widely varying opinions on whether the fretboard wood makes a difference in tone or not - I'm of the opinion that it makes little to any difference at all.

14. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I'm a maple guy myself. I have a 2006 MIA P-Deluxe V. I love the modern feel and tone. Love the MOP fret dots and the pearloid guard. However, after reading some of the responses, I am more confused than ever. Again, other than picking up a vintage P, what in the new line comes up to par? Can anyone clear any of this up. it seems that the MIA Standard should be something like the vintage ones, but Huh???

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I agree. I'd just go with whichever you mind more aesthetically-pleasing. I think it's strictly coincidence, but all of my P's have a maple board, while most of my Jazzes have a rosewood board. IMO, they all sound great. So just go with whichever you like best with the color you choose.

Also, if you'd like to save some money, consider a Classic '50s P-Bass. Killer tone with a maple board.

16. Thanks guys...... It's going to be the CCOLA with maple :) ..delivery arrives in Germany on Friday :)

17. Very, very nice choice.

I have the JPM with maple fretboard. Love it!

:)

18. Most interesting post ever. Nice links job!

If I was buying a NEW P, I would get the "2012 A.S...." as opposed to the "American Standard" because of the reasons the OP stated. Especially the pups.

Synthetic sponges that don't harden when dry are great for under-string bridge thump also.

19. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm confused by your question. What do you want? The MIA standards are "something" like the vintage ones, but refined over time with slightly different shaped necks, denser bridges, lighter and more accurate tuners, and different pickups. The Vintage Reissues are an attempt to be made more or less on par with the vintage ones - similar parts and specs. I have a '57 Reissue, and have owned several American Standards/American Series. The differences are all personal preference - do you like a car with satellite radio, power windows, ABS brakes, etc. They all sound like P basses.

20. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    This is kind of what I am looking for! The "MIA Standard" is not like say a 1973, but the MIA Vintage reissue (whatever) is more like the old ones. That is exactly what I am looking for. With all the Paint undercoats, heavier bridges, different pick ups and so on, I think that all of that will most certainly make a difference. I don't believe that none of that doesn't matter. Also, with the diffence it p-ups, I think that will make a huge difference and I am not interested in upgrades or mod's. I am looking for an off the shelf P bass that gives a vintage feel and vibe but without having to buy a vintage bass.