1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P Bass, J Bass and Stingray lead/cable Qs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicman20, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hey

So one of the things I need is a new cable.

I have a P Bass, a J Bass on order, and a Stingray. So that means I have 2 that need plugging in on the front and 1 that needs plugging in on the bottom!

Do I get an angled cable? Daft Q, but does using a angled cable 'work' or a Pbass/Jbass....eg will it mark the paint when im playing?

Secondly, the best length? Id like length to walk about with....is 20ft just about right? Or will 30ft be better?

Ive heard 30fts can start to affect your signal.

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    No difference between a straight and a 90 degree cable. I also have a P, a J, and a SR, have both styles of cables, and interchange them regularly depending on which bass is where. Nary a problem.

I tend to like the 90 degree ones, especially for the P. However, I recently learned that with an angled plug there's less risk of knocking the cable if I put SR or the Jazz (a Deluxe) on a stand while they're plugged in, hence my new preference for angled plugs.

3. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    bad quality long cables will affect your signal. I've always found 20 ft ample length.

Oh, and never buy monster cables, or anything in that vein. Complete rip off.

4. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    There is a new brand of cable out there with a magnetic snap-on connector on the end. You can interchange the angled and straight ends, and it pulls loose if you snag it. There is a review on Bass player mags on line video review section. Interesting concept if you wanted to look into it. I have a P, a P/J, and an ATK and I like the one with one angled end. I like to loop it through the strap above the button anyway. Or just reverse it when you play the P. No trouble plugging the 90 degree into either of my amps.