Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P bass, J bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skoti89, Mar 10, 2006.

1. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    I bought my deluxe active jazz bass a couple of months ago. After playing a few P basses, and comparing them to my jazz bass, I'm starting to think that I like P basses better than Jazz basses. I was looking for deep full tone, and I ended up with a Jazz bass. I listen to and play indie, emo and punk, and(if i can get it together) a metal/ hardcore band. After learning almost all my favorite bands have P basses, I found that the P bass has more low end, and sounds better for that type of music. Is it just me, and jazzes have less low end, and not a very good pick playing tone?

2. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    adding to this, I also found that P basses don't sound very good drop tuned.

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

There are a few P/J threads on the board..they are good reads and might help you get your desired sound....

4. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Try soloing the neck pickup on your Jazz, and with a little EQ tweaking, you may be able to get a fairly convincing Precision Bass tone.

5. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    or just get a p/j. they really are where its at for the ultimate versatility in standard pickups. although, in my opinion, humbuckers kick butt. especially those dingwalls. with the right series/parallel switching, you can sound like a j, like a p, and like something neither of those can sound like. i am also a fan of the mellower sound. so thats part of it.

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I have a P Bass with a set of Dimarzio Model P installed.

Depending on what strings I use, I get a good rock/punk sound.