1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P bass, Jazz bass or Dimension bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Riki323, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Precision

44.2%
  2. Jazz

46.2%
  3. Dimension

9.6%
  1. So I plan to buy a new bass this year or the next one so I am starting to look for some basses to try out and i'm intersted in these three basses.I play everything, from Daft Punk to Hendrix to Sepultura, so i'm not sure wich to pick.I'm 14 btw so my parents are paying for this :) so i'm looking for something in between 500 to 1000 Euros.Thanks!

2. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    topcat2069 likes this.
  3. Thanks for helping!

4. That's actually an excellent recommendation. Lots of tonal versatility in a great form factor. Hard to go wrong there, IMO.

5. I would get a Precision, but that's just my personal preference since I like the P sound. Maybe a bass with a P/J-setup for more versatility.

However I would recommend that you visit your local music store and try all the basses you are interested in. The P, the J and the Dimension are 3 quite different instruments in many ways.

With that said, for up to 1000 euros I would check out Maruszczyk basses. Made in Europe, and you can custom spec them to get exactly what you want. 1000 euros can get you a nice Maruszczyk with some custom options. The Jake is their version of a P-bass, and the Elwood is their J-bass. There are plenty other models as well.

Maruszczyk Instruments | Public Peace

PawleeP and SteveCS like this.
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I tend to agree with this idea. Some kind of P/J configured bass can provide a fairly broad sonic palette. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Fender Aerodyne, but I would take a look at some YouTube demos to see if it sounds good to you.

Since you're in Europe, you could get a Sire bass pretty easily through Thomann...maybe a V7 or an M3...and still have some money left to invest in a decent amplifier.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  7. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    For versatility, get a G&L L2000/L2500 a decent amp if you don't already have one and some cheap pedals or a Zoom multi effect.

8. Thanks guys! I'll check out all of these basses!

9. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    PunkNerve likes this.
  10. For resale go with the P then the jazz. The demension does not have as good of resale. This is true for U.S. Make sure you like the sound of each. I personally like the P sound over the jazz

11. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Used G&Ls don't sell all that great. However, they sound like a million bucks (or Euros :D). Give an L-2000 a shot, you won't be disappointed!

Between those three choices, however, I'd probably go for the Precision Bass. The sound carries so well and has a great presence, without being overpowering. Universally accepted as "the" go-to bass. A Jazz Bass is great too, a popular pick for anyone playing punk, rock, jazz or pop. Great for cutting through.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Lots of love for both Ps and Js. But all three have a different ton, and certainly the necks are not the same. I have a P and a J with a P neck. Certainly Ps are known for having a very specific tone, but one that sounds good in almost any mix, live or studio - for most stuff, it can't be beat. I would:

1. Play them all and see what YOU like.
    2. Take a look at the basses on your favorite songs.

Sorry, never played a D.

13. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

You want a Hendrix sound? Noel Redding played a Fender Jazz.

14. I have played on a Jazz bass at the local Rock School and i like it a lot but i can't really compare it to anything else cause i have never tried a P bass or any other bass like the G&L or such... The nearest store with quality basses is the Mitros music shop in Belgrade,so i'm gonna try something out there.I would have to organize a trip to Germany to try out the Marcus Miller basses and the G&L ones so i would prefer Fender because the store in Belgrade has a lot of them.I'm probably gonna buy a Fender deluxe active P bass but i'll see :)

15. lpbfender

lpbfender Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    I believe the Fender Dimension basses are being discontinued. Could be wrong but retail stores here are discounting heavily. That said, as an owner of two Fender P's and two Fender J's, I really like the Dimensions. But previous posters write the truth.

I started playing at age eleven ( I'm a bit older now) and I still have my very first bass, a 1970 Gibson EB3 bought used for $220.

The imported Fenders as written here a great performance fir the dollar. I like the Deluxe Active P/J bass for you.

16. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    You can't go wrong with a J or a P b if you are feeling adventurous, get a Dimension. I have a MIM Deluxe IV and it is my go to bass. The 5 way switch puts it in both the P and J category but also the snarly humbucker (think Stingray and G&L L2000 but with a fender tone). I use the inner coils almost exclusively.
    You may be able to find a super deal on one also since they have reorganized the line.

17. I guess i'll just have to try all of them out! :)

18. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Since you mentioned it the Marcus Miller is allegedly the bomb!

19. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Those are all fine choices. go play each and see if one speaks to you. Personally I don't like the dimension much, but just in a subjective way (they are well made, I just don't like the sound). And I prefer J to P, but lots of folks are the other way around. YOu won't know until you try some

20. Shizzle Gits

Shizzle Gits Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I had an American Deluxe Dimension V HH. It was my main bass for about 18 months. I also have a passive J and a passive P. I would say these are all great basses. The Dimension is a more modern sounding instrument with some great features. It can sort of sound like a 60's or 70's J. It can sort of sound like a P. These tones are very good imitations, but do not hold up to the real thing. The humbucking tones are also very nice and smooth. An excellent instrument with great features. A modern sounding instrument with clear Fender lineage. However, if you really need a true P sound or a true J sound in all its variations, you should have a good Precision or Jazz. But for one bass to do it all, and you like the modern flavor of the Fender sound, the Dimension is the way to go.