Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Bass Jr.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mongeaux, May 23, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I have done every search I can and can't seem to pull up any info on the P Bass Jr here on the boards. They only started making them in Jan 2004 so maybe they have not been around long enough for many people to try out.

One would think that this bass would have more bottom than the mustang. The fact that it does not have a tone knob kind of turns me off. Heck the Mustang has a tone knob, why not the P Jr? I'm trying to find another short scale that has phat tone like an Allen Woody Epi but with a fender style bridge.

As soon as I win the lottery I'm going to buy an Alembic. I got to noodle around on a Stanly Clark model once. Its too bad short scale basses seem to come in two classes. The $5000 n over uber-bass and cheap-O's

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    From memory, isn't the PJr *really* short scale, like 27"?

3. 28.59” scale length, to be exact.

Yet another dubious offering from the Evil Empire....

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That has to be a whole number in metric measurements, I'm just too lazy to look it up!

Is it string-through? At least then you could use standard 30" scale strings.

5. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    The scale is 28.59” (726.18mm)
    Yes it is string thru

El specs.

MODEL NAME Precision Bass Junior
    MODEL NUMBER 013-4000-(Color #)
    SERIES Standard Series
    COLORS

New!
    [Fender Color Chart]
    (506) Black,
    (558) Torino Red,
    (Polyester Finish)

New! [Fender Color Chart]
    BODY Alder
    NECK Maple, Modern “C” Shape,
    (Satin Polyurethane Finish)
    MACHINE HEADS Ping® Cast/Sealed “Mini” Tuners
    FINGERBOARD Rosewood (9.5” Radius/241 mm)
    NO. OF FRETS 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
    PICKUPS 1 Standard Precision Bass Split Single-Coil Pickup (Mid)
    CONTROLS Volume
    BRIDGE Standard Vintage Style
    PICKUP SWITCHING N/A
    HARDWARE Chrome
    STRINGS Fender singles, (.045, .065, .085, .110)
    CASE None
    PICKGUARD 3-Ply White
    SCALE LENGTH 28.59” (726.18mm)
    WIDTH AT NUT 1.50” (38mm)
    UNIQUE FEATURES 10% Downsizing of the Precision Bass,
    Knurled Chrome Control Knob,
    Dot Position Inlays
    ACCESSORIES None
    INTRODUCED 1/2004

6. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Mongeaux,
    I tried both out yesterday. The P-Bass Jr seemed to be designed for a small child - it was very light and not real solid feeling. The lack of a tone control bothered me too. I found a Mustang reissue and bought it. Much more solid feel. There is difference in price but I felt it was worth it. Plus the Mustang reissues are made in Japan while the P Bass Jrs are made in Mexico. Unfortunately, they were in different stores so I don't have a real clear memory of the tone difference.

7. ScottB

ScottB Commercial User

Jul 6, 2004
    Wimberley, Texas
    Owner, Birdsong & SD Curlee companies
    Trust me, there are options in the short-to-medium scale bass world. You just have to search for them; there are a handful in the $1000-$2000 range, still in the ballpark for someone wanting something better than a $250 special but is unwilling or unable to cough up for an Alembic or custom built.

The P-Bass Jr. doesn't impress me either, but then again it's geared (pardon the pun) (actually, don't - just groan at it) for kids. Like anything in this world, if you just go to McStore or McSite, you're not going to see what all your options are.