P-Bass Lyte Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricF, Sep 28, 2005.

1. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Does anyone know anything about them?

I got one in a trade. It was made in 2000 in Japan and seems like a decent instrument - clear satin finish over mahogany body, active EQ, P and HB pups. It needs some adjustment, but otherwise is in good shape. I was thinking of putting a set of flats on it if only to make it a very different animal from my J-Bass.
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I owned one of these for a few months, like it but it didn't get the pure P-bass sounds I wanted so I wound up selling it... but man did it ever feel good throwing that over my shoulder after 3 hours with an 11 pound Warwick over my shoulder! The Japanese versions are excellent basses, not to say the Mexican ones weren't but I prefer the Japanese model. I thought it was well put together, had nice versatility from the preamp and the pups were clean and articulate for the most part. The HB didn't offer enough growl for me, but I'm a fanatic for growl. Other than that I liked it but really wanted a passive P/J more. But I think you made a solid purchase.
  3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Thanks, Ralphdaddy. I agree, it certainly is light - as the name implies. I'm still trying to coax some good sounds out of it (I think it needs a new battery), but it does seem pretty well constructed. I probably would not have purchased the P-Lyte Deluxe, but getting it in trade worked out pretty well.
  4. I had one for a couple of years. Mine had a great sound and played really well. I ended up trading it in on a Godin BG4 because I wanted more growl. Its recorded sound is nice as well.

Its definately a Lyte bass as the name suggests. I could wear that baby for an entire concert like it wasn't even there.

Its a fairly soft body though so watch out! Also, my thumbnail wore a small groove into the body just above the neck pup where I anchor my thumb. I still feel it played better than my current Godin, and in some ways I actually miss it.

You definately have a nice bass there :)

- Andrew
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I had the P-Lyte under major consideration before purchasing a Jass Plus V (the same basic idea - downsized body, active electronics, etc - and a good call as it had me discover that "my" sound was bassed on a decent Jazz bass) and still like the idea of a smaller-sized P-bass, which is why I grabbed by Ibanez RKB 900 on clearance. The only real negative I'd heard about them is a tendency for neck issues, so you might want to watch out about using heavier strings and/or downtuning and stick with your idea of using flats. Other than that, all I heard was good. Congrats!