1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-Bass maple neck Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by summeralligator, Jul 21, 2018.

1. summeralligator

summeralligator

Jan 14, 2018
    Argentina
    Hi guys, finally i got my fender precision classic '50s series (2 tone sunburst with maple neck) yesterday i brought it from the luthier's place and when i get home and play a while i noticed that the flatwound strings make fret buzzes (from 1 to 7) The action is a little low, can i repair this "problem" raising up a little the action? or the fret buzz it's common on maple necks?

PS: The strings are D'addario Flatwound .045.

2. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    It isn't a common problem with flats and maple necks. It has nothing to do with that.
    If the action is too low on the 1-7 fret and it buzzes the saddle is too low and/or the neck is too straight.
    First I would try to loosen the neck a bit.

3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Sure you can raise the saddle height until buzz gone, but maybe become less comfort fretting.

As a luthier,he should asking you what action you prefer before do bass setup.
    After setup done, you should play the bass at there, if anything not right for you, the luthier could make same fine tune until you satisfied.

After this experience, you have start to learn setup your bass .

summeralligator likes this.
  4. It's not a common problem with any type of string or on a maple board if the setup is proper but in some cases the type of string used may impact how the bass needs to be setup. For instance strings with less tension may require slightly higher action.

First I would check the neck relief at the 7th fret to assure that's not an issue. If your satisfied with that than yes, you could raise the saddles a bit and that may eliminate the buzz. But start with checking the neck relief.

That's how I would approach it.

5. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    Buzz on those frets means you need more neck relief bro

6. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    On the lower frets it isn't the saddles that are too low, it's the neck relief. Adjust the trussrod, don't touch the saddles yet.