Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-bass modification

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by J.S., Dec 20, 2002.

1. J.S.

J.S.

May 2, 2002
    I was thinking of adding a set of EMG PJ set on my MIM P-bass, but I'm not too sure of a few things...

1st, my P-bass does not have a routing for a bridge pick-up and I don't know if there are any luthier in my area, does a guitar shop do this kind of stuff?

2nd, will there be enuogh room to accommodate an additional pot and a 9V battery?

3rd, after the installation, will it still have the P-bass sound when I solo the P pickup? or it would sound different because of the wiring?

Thanks for any help.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    1. Depends on the guitar shop.

2. You will almost certainly have to rout for a battery as well.

3. Sort of. The EMG-P sounds similar to a P-bass pickup, but being active and using a different magnet structure, it's not exactly the same.

3. 1) If they offered such services, they would either have a guitar tech on-site or ship your bass to a contracted luthier. Like Flatwound said, you have to ask.

2) I don't know, I'm a passive guy. :confused: I know that J-retro preamps can drop into the existing routing for Jazz basses. Maybe you want to check out the schematics at Fender.com (Mr. Gearhead) and see how both basses are routed.

3) I asked about the Hod-Rodded P-bass earlier and found out that you can't get an identical P-bass tone when you have the jazz pickup hooked up. You will need a switch that can separate the jazz pickup from the rest of the circuit. Mind you, this is with a passive HRP.

Good luck.

4. Seymour Duncan Quarter pounders are a drop in fit and sound kickass. You ought to try them out first. They are very loud, and might solve your sound prob with a minimum of hassle. Cheaper too.