Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass Modifications

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eeyore, Mar 10, 2005.

1. eeyore

eeyore

Mar 10, 2005
    Hey guys, i just wanted some opinions to see if what i have in mind is a good idea or not.

Basically, I have an american P-bass but miss the tone from my old J-bass. I was thinking of putting an extra J bridge pup in there.

Is this the best way to go about it? Also, what would a humbucker sound like in that position? What changes would have to be made concerning the actual controls?

On top of all that stuff i thought of getting the input jack turned around so that it isnt on the front of the bass anymore (the only thing wrong with Fenders IMHO) This would also leave space for another knob.

I hope this makes sense, i'd really appreciate some opinions on this!

2. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    These sound like some pretty cool mods. You'll just have to get a pickup slot routed in for the jazz. You could also look into a stacked humbucker for the j pickup. I'm about to drop a couple Seymour Duncan Classic Stacks into the bridge position of my two P/Js.

Dirk

augustineband.com

3. eeyore

eeyore

Mar 10, 2005
    what would a stacked humbucker sound like when combined with the existing p pup?

4. What you want is something like a fender deluxe pbass or a p/j bass. What I'd do, is go to a shop that had both and play them to compare the humbucker and the jazz pickup at the bridge before I'd start routing and making other modifications to a fender.

Regards,

Michael

5. eeyore

eeyore

Mar 10, 2005
    ^^ That's exactly what i'd do if there were any decent guitar shops around here. Ones that stocked more than squiers and other budget basses i mean.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Wanna move the output jack do you? How about using a Stratocaster output jack plate?

7. eeyore

eeyore

Mar 10, 2005
    ^^ That's a cool idea, thanks :)

8. I went for the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz for my P-bass and it sounds sweet as. I copied the wiring diagram from the Fender Aerodyne, but mainly used the wiring diagram supplied by Dimarzio and patched in a blend pot. I used the Dimarzio Will Power p-pick up, which has got to be one of the hottest sounding P p/ups on the market.