1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

p-bass mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Parlous, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Parlous

Parlous

Aug 28, 2006
    SE, Michigan
    Well, with getting a new amp and everything I thought it would be nice to do some modifications to my bass. It's basiclly a p-bass knock off that's all mids. It's lows arn't that great. I wanna get a lower tone but without sacraficing all of it's punch due to the fact that I play metal. Any suggestions? Strings? Pickups?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wait til you hear it with your new amp. I've got a feeling you were playing it through a junky practice amp before that lacked lows.

Perhaps it's your playing style. Pick or fingers? Near the bridge or near the neck? I can go from clanky mids to deep thumping with technique alone on just about any bass.

3. Parlous

Parlous

Aug 28, 2006
    SE, Michigan
    I've played it on the same Ampeg 100w 1x15" I'll be purchasing soon. My friend had a Warwick wich had lows but to much lows. Mines a litte to punchy, even he said it's great for punk rock like Green Day wich isn't the tone I want.

4. Parlous

Parlous

Aug 28, 2006
    SE, Michigan
    I've basiclly tried alot of techniques but bare with me because I'm new. I've picked when I needed to both by the bridge and by the neck (I perfer near the bridge because for some reason when I pick near the neck on my higher frets they rattle really bad even if my attack is really soft) When I play slaps if Im even capable I play near the neck.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's because your friend has an active preamp on his bass... boosts the low frequencies... and more times than not, sounds like poo in my opinion.

You'll be glad to cut like you do in a band... however, it's not the best "solo sound" ... if you're looking for that, perhaps an EQ unit would be more useful, even an onboard preamp (but most cost more than your bass I'm sure)

6. Parlous

Parlous

Aug 28, 2006
    SE, Michigan
    Well Boss sells equalizer pedals that arn't that expensive. Would that work?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It MIGHT work... I'm not 100% familiar with the gear you have. Not much experience with the combo you're using. But it should help a good bit.

8. Parlous

Parlous

Aug 28, 2006
    SE, Michigan
    Good stuff, I'll take my bass to guitar center and mess around with one of the floor models that I saw they have out. See if it can do what I want. Only problem is once I get plugged in I wouldn't know what to do with the EQ settings ha :meh:

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Make small adjustments to the left hand side of the BEQ-7 or whatever the Bass EQ model is. Bass frequencies are on the left and increase towards treble on the right.

Small adjustments though, or you can miss out on some serious tone.

10. Parlous

Parlous

Aug 28, 2006
    SE, Michigan
    Will do, thanks for the advice hopefully it can do the job.