Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass Mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by register, Nov 7, 2002.

1. register

register

Mar 31, 2002
    Boston
    Hey, I was wondering if it was possible to put a Fender Jazz Bass neck on a Precision Bass without any real modifications to the P-Bass?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yes, necks are interchangeable. Just make sure that the number of frets is the same.

3. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    If I'm not mistaken, number of frets doesn't matter as long as the scale length is the same.
    K

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Not if you want to interchange necks between a Fender Precision and a Fender Jazz..they won't fit. We are not talking in abstract here, but about a very specific situation.

5. harleyyy

harleyyy

May 30, 2000
  6. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I was working under the premise that the neck pockets were identical and that all you have to do is retain the 34" from nut to bridge saddles. Your previous post siad that they were interchangable. Most vintage style basses have 20 or 21 frets. Unless you have a preference to keep the exact same numer of frets, neckpocket fit and scale length are what matters.
    K