1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass Mute

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rickenhofner45, May 25, 2011.

1. Rickenhofner45

Rickenhofner45

Jan 3, 2011
    So, I finally have finished this custom P-Bass I've been working with a buddy on for a few months. I want more of a thumpy sound out of it. Trust me, it sounds great, but for certain songs, I really need that thump. I thought a mute might just do that. I play skiffle/beat music, you know, that old time rock n' roll. I'm somewhat new to bass (playing about 1 year), so any advice/info is greatly appreciated!

Well anyways, here's the bass:
    218781_225793770768224_100000128083798_1113175_1810137_o.

Thanks guys!

2. did you try flats?

3. I use flats and a mute.

100_7515.

100_7521.

4. Rickenhofner45

Rickenhofner45

Jan 3, 2011
    Yes I have flats on it. LaBella F60M's.

5. Rickenhofner45

Rickenhofner45

Jan 3, 2011
    What kind of foam are you using there?

6. Either as SurferJoe has here, two pieces of self-adhesive foam weather stripping stuck back to back and stuck under the bridge, or as I do, stick one piece on the underside of the bridge cover (which is the way Fender used to do it).
    If you do it my way, it can be tricky to get it placed properly, but what I do is lay a piece of double side tape across the strings, with the bottom edge of the tape lined up with the saddles, stick a piece of foam WS cut to size, sticky side up, to the double-stick tape, then, carefully lower the cover onto the bridge, making sure that the mounting holes on the cover line up with the holes on the body. Make sure the foam is all properly attached to the cover, remove the tape from the strings, and put the cover back on.

7. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    I use flats and a foam mute, made from a sponge used to wash dishes with.

Attached Files:

8. I'm using the black neoprene closed cell foam. It is available at Lowes (I hate to go to Home Depot) in rolls enough to mute several dozen guitars and still have some left over.

There are two thicknesses that I bought - 3/8" & 1/2". You can use either by sticking them on top of each other or not if you get it thick enough.

I actually had enough room on the bridge itself to stick it on there and it didn't affect the intonation at all.

9. Rickenhofner45

Rickenhofner45

Jan 3, 2011
    Thanks guys! I'll take a trip down to Lowe's this weekend. Thanks again!

10. Thats a very nice clean looking bass, I also use the trays on every Fender I've owned. I do use a piece of foam attached to the under side of the cover but I don't let it wrap around the string. I try to duplicate what Fender did back in the day they had it down back then and still produce a great bass. Doc

11. Rickenhofner45

Rickenhofner45

Jan 3, 2011
    Thanks! Can't beat the vintage style. Always the best!

12. Any of the flats/foam mute combinations shown will work.

My '63 P came with a strip of foam glued on the underside of the bridge cover so that it contacted the strings lightly. That's how Leo did it...just as Rickenhofer describes.