1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass neck on a Jazz Body? Any Good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bordinco90, Aug 8, 2012.

1. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Hello everyone. I am going to change necks on my squier VM jazz bass. I was thinking about changing it to a mighty mite p bass neck with a rosewood fretboard (warmoth cost way to much for me). I was wondering how it will make the bass sound? The neck is only $99 (for a jazz or a p bass neck). So is it a good idea should I buy a p bass neck or buy another jazz neck? I just really love the p bass neck? Thanks everyone!!:bassist:

2. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I wouldn't expect any sound difference from the P-neck. Change it out if you prefer the P-neck width and profile to the J-neck, but not for any difference in tone.

I've used Mighty Mite P necks, and find them to be very good quality, especially for the price. My only complaint was that the fret ends were a bit sharp. Easy fix with a file.

3. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    I have a Fender RoadWorn Frankenbass that I put together.
    RW Jazz body + RW Precision neck. I totally love it. The P neck is the fat '50s nut-width neck. P-neck just feels more at home to me.

And it did, without a doubt, have an effect on the tone. It totally has more low end roar vs. the J neck. I couldn't say that that would be the result of every P on a J combo.....but I'm now convinced that the neck of a bass has a profound influence on its tone.

I even believe that the tuners have a measurable effect on the tone.
    I swapped the stock vintage style tuners on a '50s style P-Bass for some Gotoh Res-O-Lites (made of some kind of lightweight alloy).....and it totally changed the tone. It was more thin sounding, more high frequency content, and less sustain.
    I took them off, and put the heavy stock ones back on.

4. UpperBout

UpperBout Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Near Chicago Illinois USA
    Endorsing Artist: DNA (David Nordschow Amplification)
    I've got a rosewood P-Bass neck on an Alder Jazz Body. Love it.

5. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I agree that the neck makes a difference. I prefer the jazz neck for playability but the p neck sounds better.

6. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Ok sweet. I will buy the p bass neck then. Also, I prefer the rosewood, but can you tell the tonal differences in a maple freboard compared to a rosewood fretboard?

7. UpperBout

UpperBout Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Near Chicago Illinois USA
    Endorsing Artist: DNA (David Nordschow Amplification)
    I can. I think it's pretty clear these woods make a tonal difference.

No less an authority than Roger Sadowsky agrees that the neck plays a significant role in tone:

8. I wouldn't know, but ask Mark Hoppus (from Blink 182); his signature Jazz bass is a Jazz body with a Precison neck, and a single reverse Precision pickup. I played one and it's a very comfortable bass to play, and sounds great, but my personal preference would be to move the pickup a bit closer to the bridge.

9. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Well I pulled the trigger and bought the mighty mite p bass neck with the rosewood fretboard. Hope everything sounds good. I am going to get it installed professionally so it can be done right.

10. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Its what I use, in maple. I have bigger hands so the precision always has worked for me.

11. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    That's exactly my favorite combination!

Better whenever I can place a split pickup in the front position

Cheers,
    Wallace

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I have a mighty mite fretless P neck on my Jaguar. Excellent combo, IMO.

13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Timmy C also used Js with P necks.

Try it, you might like it.

wraub

14. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area

If you own a screwdriver, you can do it yourself.
    If you're not confident at doing a set-up afterward, then you might pay for that.....but if they're gonna charge you extra to "install" the neck, save your money.

15. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    P necks are my favorite. I have some J necked basses that I love playing, but if I could widen and thicken them, I would.

16. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I ordered my US Lakland Joe Osborn with a P neck. I have big hands and jazz necks always feel too thin for me.

17. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    You have to be confident enough to drill the holes in the neck with mighty mite necks. It's a little nerve racking, but not hard to do.

This is a good chance to learn how to do a setup, OP!!!!!! Try doing it yourself before taking it to a tech!

18. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    I'm the exact opposite...I prefer a P pickup and a jazz neck.

I have little nancy hands...

19. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    I have a Mighty Mite P neck on a Jazz, not a huge fan though. I'm probably going to sell it, and by probably I mean definitely once my Warmoth Jazz neck arrives. Any difference in tone is negligible compared to what pickups/strings/preamp/EQ/head/cabinet you're using, really it's just a matter of comfort. Same thing goes for maple vs rosewood fingerboard tone... no one is going to notice IMO.