1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

p bass neck to fit modern player jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mytt88, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Mytt88

Mytt88

Jan 18, 2011
    I love the tone I'm getting form my 4 string modern player jazz bass but I can't stand the neck, Its probably the nicest jazz neck I have played but I guess I'm not a jazz neck guy. I love a really thick neck like on my ibanez atk, so Im guessing a p neck will be the closest replacement but will one fit into my bass seamlessly? any specific year of p bass neck to look for? how about a telecaster bass neck are they chunkier?

thanks

2. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    There 'shouldn't' be an issue swapping out necks with another standard Fender neck, wheather p or j. The Telecaster bass neck has a flat butt to it and won't fit in the neck pocket of the body. Also to note, all standard jazz pick guards are supposed to fit any standard Fender neck, but now and then the fit is a tad off, needing some extra attention.

3. You can also give Warmoth a call. www.Warmoth.com

Explain to them what you've got, and they'll tell you your options.

Mike

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It will fit. Just find a newer P-Bass neck and throw it on there. As long as it has the same number of frets, you're golden.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  5. Mytt88

Mytt88

Jan 18, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I was looking into a 7.25 radius for the vintage style rather than a new one. Would this make a difference ?

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Not any neck will fit. Most will, but not any. 20 frets, or more with an over hang. 4 bolt. Rounded heel. A tele neck has a flat heel.

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    No. The neck pocket is the key. A standard jazz neck will fit on a P-Bass and vice versa.

8. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Perhaps you can try to find someone with a precision who wants a jazz neck...

Dabndug likes this.
  9. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Most Fender necks are interchangeable. I've never had to modify any pocket or neck much at all if at all in most cases. The only thing I've had to do is add shims where needed and watch the neck alignment when screwing in the neck plate. Worse case, once I had to VERY lightly sand (with a very high grit sandpaper) the side of the end of a neck to get it to fit in the pocket. I've interchanged so many Fender/Squier necks, I've become quite good at it by now. I think it's safe to say just about any Fender neck will fit any other Fender or Squier neck for the most part. But again, just watch out for the things I stated above. I've almost always had to add a shim (Almost all my bass are fitted with high mass or bad ass style bridges mind you) and really watch the neck alignment when I was screwing in the back plate. But it's almost always worked out really well.

Kukulkan61 and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I recently swapped out my MIM P neck with a MIM P Bass Special...

IMG_20190617_174015980.jpg

... fit perfect.

gregmon79 and Wisebass like this.
  11. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Should be easy to find a spare P neck. Seems more people put Jazz necks on P basses than vice versa. I'm in your boat. I cant stand a 4 string Jazz neck. I can barely play a modern P neck with a 1.65 nut. I'm all about those wide 1.75 P necks.

12. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Allparts makes a maple Precision neck (MIJ) that is 1 5/8" wide at the nut and .92 thick @ fret #1. Rosewood is .86 @ fret #1. This is pretty chunky, especially the maple.

Best price for these are on eBay.

Allparts are my favorite neck and I've purchased over 10 of them for builds. I put the P neck on my J basses because I do not like the skinny J necks. Although, Allparts J necks are about 1/16" wider than a Fender. And, they are chunky.

Good luck.

gregmon79 likes this.
  13. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

I have a P neck on my jazz and love it. It's currently my favorite player. The black one, nicknamed Bytor.

20190708_221647.jpg

14. Aladinsane1969

Aladinsane1969 Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I'd be interested in your Jazz neck if you're looking to sell it and it has a rosewood fretboard -- I want to build a P Bass with a Jazz neck. If so, please PM me!